3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 2:47 PM by TKnTexas55

Best Practices

TKnTexas55

I will be reinstalling my FMS16 server.  I am currently sharing 3 of 4 files peer-to-peer with my AP coworker.  The 4th file I am sharing with the billing clerk.

Before I move these back to the server, I need to understand somethings better.  I have gone through the FMS 16's manual.  I do not see the caveat of turning virus protection off to install, although I will when I reinstall.  I do see that the virus protection should not touch the folders with the data files.  Virus Protection is a Data Center control that I will need to address. 

What I am concerned about, what are best practices for on-going server maintenance.  I am using a virtual server running Windows 2012 R2.  There is nothing else on this server.  The Great Plains Administrator has installed Great Plains 2010 that we use for the accounting to enable ODBC connection to those files from FileMaker Pro.  The software will not be running. 

How do I handle Window updates?  Window Updates have caused some issues on a different server that is running a specified application.  I do not see mention of this in the manual.  I am almost tempted to get a Mac Mini to run the FMS16 since the number of users is so small at this point.  At least I know how updates are handled better with MacOSX.

If there are any other sites that I can go to get info on this, let me know,  My google searches did not get me the info I needed.

• 1. Re: Best Practices
          bigtom

I am not sure about best practices, but I always turn off auto updates on Win Server for FMS. I have had it do auto restarts in the past and that is no good.

You will generally be better better off with a cloud server than a Mac mini. SSL is easier to deal with in the cloud vs LAN. The infrastructure of a hosting company is better as they usually have backup power, backup servers, server image backups, better bandwidth...the list goes on.

• 2. Re: Best Practices
            bigtom

I run without virus software. Some people run with it and exclude FMS folders. Hopefully you get some feedback from those people.

• 3. Re: Best Practices
              TKnTexas55

My company does Data Center services, but no experience with FileMaker.  So I do not think that will fly.  Currently I am using the developer license.  It meets our limited needs.  Also, it is exposing the company to what FileMaker Pro is and how we are using it.  

The Data Center manager has built my virtual server but I am responsible for its operation.  From the AP/Financial side, what we do is supplemental to the accounting software.  Out of necessity, we have begun our Data Center billing from my FMP app to Great Plains.  I actually want to move it totally into Great Plains but I have been told "what you are doing works well. Do not change anything."