1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 11:15 AM by TSGal

Volatile PLIST Debugger Information Always LOST when FORCE-QUIT

fmpdude

Product and version FMP 14.0.6

OS and version 10.12.5

Hardware Mac, 32 GB RAM, SSD (Plenty of free space)

Description: Volatile PLIST Debugger Information Always LOST when FORCE-QUIT

How to replicate: Read details below.

Workaround: None

------------------

Please fix FMP (retroactively to version 14, and 15, too) to stop storing debugger watch expressions in the VOLATILE ~\Library\Preferences\com.filemaker.client.advanced12.plist file.

This, IMHO, is a design flaw (or serious oversight) and is extremely annoying.

Each time I have to FORCE-QUIT FMP, which is often - especially with extremely slow SQL statements that never complete - FMI overwrites the PLIST file completely deleting my 20 or 30 watch expressions.

Any programmer knows that storing persistent (debugger watch expressions, in this case) data in a volatile file is not only a terrible design, but completely at odds with "persistent".

And, there's no mechanism, other than to restore some "old" plist file, to even partially recover MY WATCH EXPRESSION DATA!

Please let me know...

Is this a known issue?

Is this an issue that will be fixed?

Is this considered a bug?

How can I track progress?

When will it be fixed?

Will there be a version fix retroactively or ONLY for the current version?

Etc...

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Volatile PLIST Debugger Information Always LOST when FORCE-QUIT
          TSGal

fmpdude:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue in FileMaker Pro 14, but not in FileMaker Pro 15 nor FileMaker Pro 16.  This is what I have done:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, I created a file with a couple of fields and created a script that simply sets a variable "$filepath".

2. I activated the Script Debugger and the Data Viewer, and in the Data Viewer, I watched "$filepath".

3. I quit FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, relaunched FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, opened the Script Debugger and Data Viewer, and I am still watching "$filepath".

4. I then force quit FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, relaunched FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, opened the Script Debugger and Data Viewer, and I am still watching "$filepath".

5. I performed steps 2-4 for FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced with the same results.

6. I performed steps 2-4 for FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced, and "$filepath" is no longer displayed after the force quit and relaunch.

If you are getting this same issue in FileMaker Pro 15, let me know what exact steps to take, and I will try to replicate.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful