fmpdude

SQL Hangs in Simple GROUP BY

Discussion created by fmpdude on Jun 17, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 by fmpdude

Product and version FMP 14.0.6

OS and version 10.12.5

Hardware Mac, 32 GB RAM, SSD (Plenty of free space)

Description: SQL Hangs in Simple GROUP BY

How to replicate: Read details below.

Workaround: None

-----------------------------

When trying to help another forum member on a UUID problem, I created a simple file with 1,000,000 UUIDs (searching for possible dups as was reported in that thread).

I have attached the file I created to this problem report and you can see the simple SQL in the screenshots below.

I first imported the data into MySQL which took less than 8 seconds to import. I then ran the query you see in the screenshot below. That query ran, as you can see, in about 1/2 a second:

(Comparison) MySQL:

-----

I then imported that same data into FMP 14 Adv. Machine has 32 GB RAM with fast SSD.

That import took longer, 23 seconds. (A sub-problem) It took FMP almost THREE times longer just to import the data.

However, the actual serious issue is that although I tried twice (see my related issue today on FORCE-QUIT and PLIST File), the SQL in FMP never completed in FMP. After five minutes, I gave up, as all I had was as "spinning beach-ball" and force-quit the machine. FMP is doing some kind of "sort", as you can see by the dialog below even though there was no ORDER BY in the query. Not sure what the issue might be, but so many queries are so slow in FMP as to be totally unusable for SQL. Period.

FileMaker:

-----------------------------------------------------

(note: even with a 10,000,000 record UUID test, MySQL still completed the test in less than 7 seconds!)

(Comparison) MySQL:

Please let me know...

• Is this a known issue?
  • Is this an issue that will be fixed?
  • Is this considered a bug?
  • How can I track progress?
  • When will it be fixed?
  • Will there be a version fix retroactively or ONLY for the current version?

Etc...

Thanks,

Attachments

Outcomes