3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 10:46 AM by LisaRose

Changing colors and text on default WebDirect signin page

pietergorisio

Hi FM'ers,

Question about the default signin page for WebDirect http://server.domain.com/fmi/webd

What's the best approach and steps to change the button color and text (to different language - Dutch in my case) on that default signin page?

Is it possible to add a small logo on top of it?

Because I don't have the knowledge to build my own custom page so I though perhaps it would be better for me to adapt that default signin form to my custom colors and text.

I've read in the styles-desktop-edit.css file of the default theme that edits don't get picked up automatically so I'm afraid to ruin the whole thing.

Like to get advise on this first.

Thank you.

Much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Changing colors and text on default WebDirect signin page
          LisaRose

Hi Pieter,

For the default Sign In page, I'll address two of your questions separately below (and note, I'm discussing the new Sign In page, that was redesigned in 16):

Changing Language: This is actually handled automatically by WebDirect, based on detected browser language (as long as language is supported by WebDirect, which Dutch is). For example, if you go into Chrome advanced settings and make Dutch the preferred language, Sign In dialog will then appear in that language (see attached screenshot). Although method of changing browser language varies by browser (e.g. on macOS, Safari picks up whatever system's current language is set to, instead of having its own language setting).

Customizing Dialog: While it is probably possible to customize this dialog (e.g. change button color or add logo), this is not an intended practice (and could require hacking WebDirect resource files and more knowledge than building your own custom page). There is a sample file called "fmwebd_home.html" (under your HTTPServer folder) that can be used as a starting point for creating both your custom homepage (launch center) and sign-in dialog (note: to make the custom sign-in dialog appear (after clicking database on custom homepage), you would first need to change 'kCustomLogin' variable in page source to "true" and uncomment "myLogin" <div> block at bottom of page).

Hope that helps,

-Lisa

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 5.13.23 PM.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing colors and text on default WebDirect signin page
            pietergorisio

Thank you Lisa for taking the time to explain me this.

I was unaware of everything you mentioned to be honest.

• 3. Re: Changing colors and text on default WebDirect signin page
              LisaRose

Glad it helped!

If you haven't seen it already, the WebDirect Guide is also a great introduction to these (and other) topics:

English version: FileMaker 16 WebDirect Guide

Dutch version: FileMaker 16 Handleiding voor WebDirect

-Lisa