paul@teamdf.com

ESS relationships failing in FM 16

Discussion created by paul@teamdf.com on Jun 19, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 by paul@teamdf.com

Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced 16.0.1

OS and version: Mac OS 10.11.6

Hardware: MacBook Pro

Description

We have a system that uses ESS to pull data from a customer web portal with a MySQL backend. This works fine with FM Pro 15 clients, but testing with FM Pro 16 (including Advanced, Win & Mac) has shown some problems.

These screen shots show fields from a base table and a portal to a related table, both ESS tables. The relationship is just the two id fields being equal.

Here it is in FM Pro Advance 15:

Pasted image at 2017_06_20 10_45 AM.png

And here it is in FM Pro Advanced 16:

Pasted image at 2017_06_20 10_44 AM.png

When I do a find on the related table layout (a layout with the related table as the base table) for the id, it finds the record with id 60. If I show all records, id 60 is the first record (despite these being auto-entered serial by MySQL, and all other records are in order when unsorted). Cycling through the records, id 171 is missing.

The record count in the related table is 868 in FM 16, 869 in FM 15.

Note that this is just two clients (FMPA 15 & 16) running on one machine, both looking at the same data on the same server.

Server is FMS 14.0.4 – is this likely to be the issue? Was the ESS engine changed between server versions, and 16 now assumes a more recent one?

How to replicate

This is going to be difficult. Only one record is currently out of sync, and I have seen it 'repair' itself: looking for the missing record on the related base layout was successful; looking back at the layout with the portal, the incorrect id changed to the correct one. Looking later found another record with a mismatched related record.

Workaround: None known.

Outcomes