2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 9:59 AM by pomilpetan

Use the portal or not?

pomilpetan

Goodmorning everyone,

I'm asking for your help, I'm stuck and can not find a solution. I use filemaker pro 15 advanced on mac.

Premise:

I have developed a database consisting of two parts:

registry

billing

In Mastery I have the data of clients, agents who follow customers and suppliers with their brand that are handled by agents.

Each agent may have several suppliers; Each customer has only one agent but may have various brands.

Each vendor may have several agents distributing its own brand.

In billing, I need to be able to enter data for seasonal agents' commissions.

I can search it by agent, by brand or by season.

The data I will have to include is just the quantity of ordered pieces. The remainder of commission calculations are made automatically.

I was thinking of creating a portal that extrapolated my clients' names based on a search (per agent, vendor, or season). And here I stop.

Why am I blocking? If I do a search for agent, I can find all the clients of that agent. I did not find the ability to automatically create a record from the portal. That is, once a customer is found and added to the portal, a record is created automatically with the client name, agent name, season (autumn / winter + year or spring / summer + year) and some fields . Example:

Bubble number;

ordered quantity;

Commission agent;

If I succeed in developing this part I think I can continue. But then I have another problem; If it is the first time the search is made I create the record but if it is the second or the third time (why maybe there are some additions to do)? I would not duplicate the records and no longer have the correct data.

I ask some of you a cue to be able to unlock this situation.

If you have any other questions ask as well

thank you

• 1. Re: Use the portal or not?
          SteveMartino

posted on all 3 forums...

FileMaker Forum | FMT FIleMaker Community

For starters,

I think you may need the following tables:

Customers

Agents

Vendors

Suppliers

Products (Brands)

Invoices (Billing)

Line Items (Join table)

I don't know what registry means in this scenario and also what is a client? Are clients agents?

This would be more of a normalized type structure.

With the proper relationships you can have portals on these tables that would show the information you are seeking.

This makes reporting much easier.

• 2. Re: Use the portal or not?
            pomilpetan

hi and tanks for your answer.

for registry i mean customer masters.

i have 1 database with le following tables:

customer masters

agents

brands (is the same of  suppliers)

in the customer masters table there is a field with the name of agent and in another field there are all brand that the customers buy.

in the agents table there is a field with all brand that he sell to customers

in another table i think to insert the name of customers finding agent or brand as parameter. but I would like the data generated from the search and displayed in the portal to automatically generate a record for each line. But I think it's not possible and so I think I must first create records in a new table and then display the records in that table with the filter from the initial search (agent or brand)