6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 7:38 AM by gdurniak

Lost Value Lists

SteveKeiser

I was doing some development work and went to apply a value list to a field and there were zero value lists showing in the window when using File/Manage/Value Lists... . I tried closing and reopening FileMaker Pro Advanced, restarting my computer, closing and re-opening the database on the server--and nothing fixed the problem. I am now waiting for a backup to be made of the file so I can try a recover. Any ideas out there?

• 1. Re: Lost Value Lists
          Jaymo

It's not normal for a value list to disappear. I would definitely revert to a backup but I wouldn't recommend recovering to "fix" your file. Recovery is designed to open a file at all costs in order to recover data. It might delete fields, layouts, tables or any corrupt item in a file so it can be opened. Once a file is recovered, the idea is to import the data into a clone of a backup, not to continue using it. Continuing to use a recovered file might work fine but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

• 2. Re: Lost Value Lists
            gdurniak

Just curious,

Which version of FileMaker,  which OS ?  is this a one file solution ?

either way,  check a recent backup copy

greg

> there were zero value lists showing in the window

• 3. Re: Lost Value Lists
              SteveKeiser

FM16, MacOS, one file.

• 4. Re: Lost Value Lists
                SteveKeiser

Update: I downloaded a fresh backup of the database and did a  consistency check. It was okay. I then made a compacted copy and still no value lists. I then did a recovery. It showed no problems, however upon opening the recovered file, the problem was gone. I thought I had seen recommendations to not use a recovered file, so I called FileMaker technical support (before I saw Jaymo's post). They said it was okay to use a recovered file so I did. It is in use today, but because of that post, I am now worried about whether I am going to have problems. Everything so far is working right. Should I just hold my breath, or should I bite the bullet and import the 111 tables from the recovered file into another backup copy with no records as he recommends? Also, I don't know of any way to do the import except table by table.

• 5. Re: Lost Value Lists
                  beverly

Yes! import into a clone (no records) of a good file. You may need to rebuild your value lists if they are not based on fields. But with your "recovered" file, you will be able to see what these are.

Beverly

• 6. Re: Lost Value Lists
                    gdurniak

Recover is a very misunderstood Utility,  and Tech Support doesn't help

If you can import into a recent "good" backup ( with Value Lists ),  then do that

Otherwise,  the Recovered file is probably okay,  you're just not sure

Tech Support really should have offered to look at your file,  and the Recover Log,  to see what was done

greg

> I called FileMaker technical support (before I saw Jaymo's post). They said it was okay to use a recovered file so I did