1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 1:43 AM by bigtom

What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?

xjab

Hi all-

I can't find current information on this model and the built in iPad templates in Filemaker Pro 15 Advanced are clearly smaller. I want to customize my layouts for the new 10.5" iPad pro (using Filemaker Go 15) and want to use the screen from edge to edge. Apple publishes this info in pixels but since filemaker uses points I'm not sure. I'm not a developer so I don't need flexibility for multiple devices - just this one. Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
          Jaymo

Pixels and points will be the same measurement in this scenario, as far as I know.

• 3. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
            bigtom

databuzz wrote:

Check out this FMI KnowledgeBase Article:

Using Screen Stencils to design iOS friendly layouts using FileMaker Pro 14 or higher | FileMaker

databuzz I do not believe that that KB article is updated with current info on the iPad Pro 10.5"

• 4. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
              bigtom

It is also a bit of disconnect in the KB article becase FM says the max full screen size for the 12.9" is 1024 x 1346, but Apple has the logical resolution at 1024 x 1366. Where did the 20pts go in FM?

Jaymo With retina iOS displays you generally divide the actual px size by 2 to get the logical screen resolution.

My guess is that the 10.5" screen size is 834pt x 1112pt for full screen. I have also found the built in guides in FM to be wrong most of the time.

• 5. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                xjab

Thanks for the replies guys. I did read that article before posting but it was out of date.

Bigtom - Through trial and error I found the point dimensions of this screen in Filemaker Go to be about 1110 x 710. The screen on the 10.5" model is listed on Apple's website as 2224 x 1668 pixels so i suspect the pixels are 2:1 pixels to points width wise but more like 2.3:1 height wise. That would mean a rectangular pixel which is not uncommon.

I suspect someone out there in the Apple universe knows the exact answer to this...

• 6. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                  davidempson

iPads (and all other current Apple devices) have square pixels.

The iOS status bar is 20 pixels high on non-retina displays, 40 pixels (20 points) on retina displays, assuming it is not showing a second row (used on an iPhone for features like call in progress, audio recording, personal hotspot, etc.).

It looks like the numbers in the FM "screen stencils" knowledge base article exclude the standard iOS status bar. That would account for a 12.9-inch iPad Pro being 1366 x 1024 points according to Apple, with FM saying maximum resolution is 1024 x 1346 (portrait) or 1366 x 1004 (landscape) with FM toolbar and menu bar off. The same pattern applies to 9.7-inch iPad maximum resolutions reported by FM.

On that basis, a 10.5-inch iPad Pro with actual resolution of 2224 x 1668 pixels would be 1112 x 834 points according to Apple, and its maximum resolution in FM would be 834 x 1092 (portrait) or 1112 x 814 (landscape).

According to that document, the FM toolbar and menu bar each require 44 pixels in the vertical dimension, so with both enabled that would result in maximum resolution of 834 x 1004 (portrait) or 1112 x 726 (landscape), not allowing for other features like the record selector and vertical scroll bar.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                    bigtom

davidempson That sounds about right and is pretty close to the test numbersxjab has.

Get(ScreenHeight), Get(ScreenWidth), Get(ScreenScaleFactor), Get(ScreenDepth) and Get(ScreenScaleFactor) should give you all kinds of information on the new screen.

• 8. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                      xjab

Yes! davidempson thank you so much for this very detailed explanation. This is very helpful. I was working on re-formatting my layouts today using a dimension very close to what you quoted for landscape and it works great. I'll plug your numbers in tomorrow. I think this will help lots of people.

• 9. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                        bigtom

FYI if you notice something lacking in the KB and you click the "No" button at the bottom to say it was not useful. You are asked to provide feedback on how it could be improved. Please do this.

TSGal has often stated that updating documentation is super low priority at FMI, but after submitting many reports of outdated, incorrect or serious lack of information over the past few years I did get a few notifications of updated articles.

The notify option now requires a login to the KB which is annoying. Half the time I want to see a KB article I am asked for a login and that is another issue I have yet to deal with figuring out.

• 10. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                          TSGal

bigtom:

"updating documentation is super low priority at FMI" is incorrect.  The documentation changes each time a new release occurs.  Changing documentation during a release does not occur to keep consistency.  Information that is needed between releases is generally covered in Knowledge Base Articles.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                            gofmp15

An idea is to create your own rulers by doing a screen capture of the form layout with rulers enabled. This should produce a 1:1.

Show that image in your device and you can determine the dimensions with a bit of windage...

• 12. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                              gofmp15

I found this somewhere during a search for iphone sizes. If you 'google' that request you'll find more information.

The resolution sizes may need to be adjusted as the iPhone layouts are xxx x 320 or so. Resolution is adjusted by FileMaker.

main-qimg-1e38c3ef391ca232cdd643b21e62a641-c.jpg

• 13. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                                Benjamin Fehr

… and to add the Pro's:

iPad Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple

10.5‑inch iPad Pro

• Retina display
                                • 10.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
                                • 2224-by-1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

12.9‑inch iPad Pro

• Retina display
                                • 12.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
                                • 2732-by-2048 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
                                • 14. Re: What is the new iPad pro 10.5 screen size in points?
                                  Orlando

Thought this might be useful, I have put this together using an iPad Pro 10.5, FileMaker Go 16, Get ( WindowContentHeight ) and Get ( WindowContentWidth )

SCREEN ORIENTATIONTOOLBARMENU BARWIDTHHEIGHT
                                  Portrait (full screen)OnOn8341004
                                  Portrait (full screen)OffOn8341048
                                  Portrait (full screen)OnOff8341048
                                  Portrait (full screen)OffOff8341092
                                  Portrait (slide over/25%)OnOn3201004
                                  Portrait (slide over/25%)OffOn3201048
                                  Portrait (slide over/25%)OnOff3201048
                                  Portrait (slide over/25%)OffOff3201092
                                  Portrait (split 75%)OnOn5041004
                                  Portrait (split 75%)OffOn5041048
                                  Portrait (split 75%)OnOff5041048