4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 8:27 AM by philmodjunk

Imported data from FM11 to FM15, Contact ID missing

meral

I am very new to FM and am learning it as I go. I am updating a database for a small organization, and I used a starter solution for event management, added a customized table and layout, then imported our contacts from our FM11 database, it did not import the Contact ID which is the match field across tables. It won't let me manually populate it. Anyone else get this? How did you finally get your data to populate? I can use new ID numbers different from the original DB, but still need to to reconcile contacts across tables. I can't debug my scripts until I can get the match fields working. Thank you!

My Contact ID match field in contacts is a number, Indexed, and I've tried several options - currently Auto-enter serial starting at the last assigned contact ID of 285 (there are 284 entries n the DB now). Validation allows user to override during data entry. But I can't go back and assign #1-284, it won't let me.

• 1. Re: Imported data from FM11 to FM15, Contact ID missing
          philmodjunk

When you imported the data, was there a contact ID in the source file to import into the target file? When you mapped the fields for import, did you align that contact ID of the source table to the contact ID of the target table?.

If you go into manage database, you'll probably find that contact ID has a field option selected that prohibits modification. You can temporarily change that setting to allow manually entering ID's but unless you have a very small number of records where this data is missed, it will be far better to start over with a new copy of your target file where you import the records again and this time import the data with the contact ID's properly mapped to each other.

Alternatively, during import, you could click a check box that appears in one small dialog just before the import starts and allow auto=enter options. This should assign an all new contact ID to each imported contact.

• 2. Re: Imported data from FM11 to FM15, Contact ID missing
            meral

Thank you for replying. Yes, I did make sure to match Contact ID in the import fields. I deleted the records and tried again several times, and at least one try I checked the auto=enter option. I tried importing with the auto entry checked and unchecked. I exported the original data as an excel file, and tried importing that, with both the auto entry checked and unchecked. It's still not assigning that value to the column. Very frustrating as I can't even manually populate the 284 entries.

• 3. Re: Imported data from FM11 to FM15, Contact ID missing
              meral

I tried importing data with contact ID not matched, and autoentry selected so it would populate the contact ID: still no luck. The column is locked so I can't even enter a "1" "2" etc. manually.

• 4. Re: Imported data from FM11 to FM15, Contact ID missing
                philmodjunk

Sorry, but it sounds like your source file does not have a contact ID to import. Either that, or you are mapping the wrong field.

The field can be unlocked as I mentioned earlier. You might try temporarily removing that "prohibit modification" field option and then importing the data with the "allow auto-enter options" check box selected.