8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 9:00 AM by justinc

FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object

justinc

I ran into an odd problem with applying Styles to layout objects in FMPA 16.01.

I was creating a new layout and had applied a new-ish Theme to it.  This is a Theme that I created, with Styles mostly (all?) created from scratch.  (I wasn't exactly specifically creating it with the idea that I would clear out all the original stuff, but that's pretty much what I did.)  I believe that I created this Theme in 15.03.

I created a new layout a couple of days ago and based it on this new Theme.  I was going along nicely, no real problems.  I then happened to copy a field from an older layout and pasted it onto this newer layout; it had Theme/styles from another Theme, of course.  I then tried to apply a Style from the current Theme to this new object, but it wasn't taking the full Style - specifically, it was not accepting the vertical alignment setting.  The Style was set for Vertical = Top, but this object was getting Vertical = Middle.  There was another field that I had copied over from that same source layout - it had no trouble accepting the full styling for this particular Style.  I did some gyrations of toggling to Default, then picking this Style, etc, but this particular field would never apply the full Style and would always get Vertical = Middle.

New fields that I put on the layout have no trouble.

I shut down FMPA 16.03 and restarted it - no change.

FMS 15.03

FMPA 16.01

Style created in 15.03 (I think - wasn't really paying attention at the time)

I created a little video showing the issue.  It's ~6.5MB in size; let me know a place to send it to if you want to see it.  I can probably get you a clone copy of the file, too.

Thanks,

Justin

• 1. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
          TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for your post.

From your description, since other objects copied and pasted don't have an issue, it appears the field in question was possibly damaged prior to copying and pasting, as it will not accept all style information when applied.

Rather than sending in the video that shows me what you described, please send in a copy/clone of the file.  That way, our Development and Testing departments can determine why the object is not accepting the vertical alignment.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

As a workaround, add another instance of the field directly to the layout and apply the Style.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
            justinc

I emailed you a short while ago.

• 3. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
              TSGal

justinc:

I received your updated file.  Thank you.

In the old layout, I see the Style in question is set for Top alignment; not Center alignment.  When I copy and paste, it remains as Top alignment, and when I apply the style, it remains as Top alignment.  Can you clarify and verify?

The Button Bar in question is not part of the portal, but part of the Slide Control.  You can confirm by looking at the Layout Objects window.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
                justinc

I'm not exactly sure which layout you mean by 'old layout'.  The issues I was seeing with the Style not applying the same to different objects was happening on the "List GRID view" layout.  I left a couple of objects on the layout that were pasted from an older layout that was using a different Theme.  A while after I pasted these objects onto the "Grid" layout from the older layout, I noticed that they were not accepting the particular Style I had selected in the same way as some other objects (which were ALSO pasted from the old layout).

On the "GRID" layout, this is the Theme and Style that I was trying to use, for a 'Field' object:

Theme:  "Qwire | Cast JC"

Style:   "Body Ar 11 h:L v:T p:3.0.3.0"

The Style should be defined to have a "vertical = Top" alignment, yes.  However, these two field objects were showing up with "vertical = Center", even after toggling the Style chosen to various other Styles, and then back to the Style I wanted.  The video that I included in the archive of files I sent should demonstrate the issue.  New objects created on the layout appeared to be accepting the Style correctly.

As for the Button Bar, I'd like it to be part of the portal.  That's the issue - no amount of nudging it with arrow keys nor dragging and dropping the object will cause it to attach to the portal.  A newly created button bar correctly attaches to the portal.

• 5. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
                  TSGal

justinc:

On the "GRID" layout, if I apply the "Body Ar 11 h:L v:T p:3.0.3.0" Style to any field, it is set for "vertical = Center".  To further verify, I added new Text objects to the layout, applied the Style, and it is still set for "vertical = Center".  Once I changed the object to "vertical = Top" and saved the Style, all objects that have the Style now have "vertical = Top".

Thank you for the clarification about the Button Bar.  Adding a new Button Bar does get attached to the Portal.  I have sent a subset of the file to our Development and Testing departments to better understand why this occurring.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
                    bigtom

I have had similar issues with object styles in FM16. Sometimes styles created in 16 are not visible in 14. Sometime styles that are saved in 16 are not available for editing in 15. No firm process on reproducing but I have seen this happen more than a few times since using FM16.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
                      TSGal

justinc:

Looking back at the movie, I noticed that the "pCredits" field with Style had a Scrolling Edit Box, while "Ethnicity" did not.  If I changed "Ethnicity" for scrolling, then "vertical = "Top".

Testing looked at the Button Bar, and had several comments.  The first segment of the Button Bar is set to a Popover button, and inside the Popover panel, there is a Popover button which contains a portal in its Popover panel.  FileMaker cannot place a portal inside another portal, so moving the Button Bar into the portal fails.  To solve the issue, pull out the popover button inside the popover of the first button bar segment, delete the portal, place the popover button back if necessary (opening a popover panel inside another popover dialog is also unsupported), and now the button bar can be moved to any portal correctly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMPA 16.01 Style corruption after copy/paste object
                        justinc

Ah, good call on the button bar with a portal inside it.  That's what I get for copying and pasting willy-nilly.  Forgot that there was another pop-over and portal in that one object.

As for the fields and the Style - I was just trying to point out that the two different Field objects would 'take' the styling differently.  The same style applied to these two different objects ("pCredits", 'Ethnicity" fields) would show with 1 of them ("pCredits") with vertical=Top and the other ("Ethnicity") would show vertical=Middle.  I'm reading the vertical alignment setting from the Inspector (as well as visually in layout mode).

I would think that the two field objects would take the styling the same way.  So either the Style is corrupted, or one of the field objects is.  I named the Style to indicate that the vertical alignment should be at the Top, but I could have misnamed it.  That's not really critical, which alignment it is supposed to have - it's just that they are different.  I was hoping that providing the samples that are malfunctioning would allow you take it apart and figure out why it got corrupted and be able to shore up the system to prevent future issues.