14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 6:33 PM by PeterChen

IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso

PeterChen

I've used FMPro 5 and Lasso many years ago and hosted with Point-in-space, and then stopped for some years.

Having developed a new solution with my FMPro 14 I'm now seeking advice if I should host using IWP, CWP or WD and I wonder if Lasso is still needed. I'm exploring an online solution for some 10 to 20 different company subscription clients for the first 1 - 2 years.

I read about the combined use of PHP by someone in the community but is it necessary? Can I just host my FM dbases with all the FM scripts intact? If Lasso is needed, then I'll get the latest version Lasso as it will be easier for me to relearn and refresh with Lasso than PHP

I'd also want to provide access to the solution via tablets/mobile and allow my clients' customers access to signing some forms digitally. Is this possible with FM online solutions and what do I need to do to achieve this?

Thank you very much!

• 1. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
          beverly

IWP is gone (FM12 the last) and WD replaces it (FM13-)

WD is better than IWP, but still a few limitations.

(and follow links on the page)

Beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
            tcwaters

I left Lasso use a number of years ago, and replaced everything we used to do with Lasso, with either CWP (PHP pages and use the FMP PHP API) or WebDirect. I've never looked back. These changes to our set up have served us very well.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
              PeterChen

Thank you very much for the WD-IWP comparison link, Beverly!

Looks like FM WD is the way to go.

Cheers!

• 4. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                PeterChen

Thanks for your invaluable tips, tcwaters.

So, WD is able to replace Lasso completely without even the need to use php?

I believe I don't need any FM server license to publish and host my FMP dbases. Am I right?

Before I continue to complete my development, any advice that I should upgrade to FMP 16 or FMPA 16 now? What are the obvious advantages and new features which FMPro 14 doesn't possess? If I upgrade to FMP 16 now and later decide to switch to FMPA 16 would there be any obvious disadvantages/issues in terms of cost, etc? Is it better/safer to upgrade directly to FMPA 16?

I read a few recommendations here for hosting companies and am looking for one reliable responsive company that provides a 30-day free trial that's not too pricey. I note that Point-in-space does that. Which other reliable companies are providing 30 days trial? Contacted FMPHost and they offer only 15 days trial.

• 5. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                  PeterChen

So, WD is able to replace Lasso completely without even the need to use php?

I believe I don't need any FM server license to publish and host my FMP dbases. Am I right?

Before I continue to complete my development, any advice that I should upgrade to FMP 16 or FMPA 16 now? What are the obvious advantages and new features which FMPro 14 doesn't possess? If I upgrade to FMP 16 now and later decide to switch to FMPA 16 would there be any obvious disadvantages/issues in terms of cost, etc? Is it better/safer to upgrade directly to FMPA 16?

I read a few recommendations here for hosting companies and am looking for one reliable responsive company that provides a 30-day free trial that's not too pricey. I note that Point-in-space does that. Which other reliable companies are providing 30 days trial? Contacted FMPHost and they offer only 15 days trial.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                    taylorsharpe

WebDirect is FileMaker's way of rendering the FileMaker Pro layout user interface via HTML5 web browsers and it does a pretty good job.  But ultimately, you control more down at the Lasso level.  However, I have not seen Lasso used in quite a while and most people use PHP instead.  PHP is really the Lasso replacement and not WebDirect.  However, WebDirect will have your layouts up and working a lot faster than you can in Lasso or PHP.  And you can have a system that uses both.  If you're used to Lasso, you may find some limitations in WebDirect.  But it sure is easier and faster to develop with. 

• 7. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                      tcwaters

I could have this wrong, but I believe WebDirect requires Filemaker Server. I can't imagine hosting data without FMS.  FMS is really the correct tool for hosting and sharing data.  It offers a few ways to interact with that data, including WebDirect, the FMP PHP API, and the new Filemaker REST API.  I agree with what Taylor said, that PHP is the more direct replacement technology  to Lasso, but I think it is true that one can use Filemaker to host directly on the web via WebDirect without the need of any other technology, in most cases.

• 8. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                        PeterChen

Hi tcwaters, thanks for your explanation. Then, I'll try WD without Lasso first.

In that case, I'll try WD without Lasso first.

• 9. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                          PeterChen

Hi tcwaters,

do I still need to pay for the server license if I were to host with a Hosting company and pay the hosting fee, say, Point-in-space or Triple8?

Thanks!

• 10. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                            tcwaters

Don't know anything about working with a hosting company.  Sorry can't be of much help there.

• 11. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                              PeterChen

That's alright. I'll check with a few hosting companies. Thanks!

• 12. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                                stitchenal

I use fmphost.com. You can share a license with Filemaker 13 and 14. Filemaker 15+ changed the licensing terms and requires a license for each company using it, so hosting is a lot more expensive.

• 13. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                                  PointInSpace

If you use a shared hosting account with us, then we provide the FileMaker Server license.  The latest server version we host off of on our shared accounts is v14, as conforming to FileMaker's EULA.  Note you can host v15 and v16 databases on Server v14, just without any of the new v15 or 16 server-side features.  We do not offer WebDirect on our shared hosting accounts.

If you use a virtual dedicated server, then you must bring your own FileMaker Server license.  You would need to use a virtual dedicated server to be able to do WebDirect, or host off of FileMaker 15 or 16 Server.

Please contact me off-list at jmay(at)pointinspace.com or visit our web site for more details.  Thanks!

- John May - Point In Space

• 14. Re: IWP, CWP, Web Direct and Lasso
                                    PeterChen

Noted with thanks, John.