1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 5:10 PM by LisaRose

Webdirect Client hangs

stitchenal

Product and version (e.g. FileMaker Pro 16.01.184)

OS and version OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Browser and version (for WebDirect only) Windows Chrome 59.0.3071.104, Firefox 51.01; Mac Safari 10.1.1

Hardware Mac Pro Mid 2010 24GB

Description Webdirect hangs and server no longer responds. Server Admin still shows server working normally. No unusual log entries

How to replicate: Very responsive for 3-5 minutes and then hangs and does not respond.

Workaround (if any) Force disconnect

• 1. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
          stitchenal

The web client stops responding to a script request from a button, but the server resets the 15 minute time before disconnect. So the click is being registered by the server, but the script does not execute as I have code to set a variable and display it as soon as the script starts.

• 2. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
            TSGal

stitchenal:

Thank you for your posts.

I'm having difficulty understanding the issue.  Is the server timing out before the 15 minute Idle setting?  Or, is the client not responding within the 15 minute idle limit?

Does the Admin Console show the WebDirect client still connected?

On a side note, keep in mind that there are issues with Firefox and it is not a supported browser with FileMaker WebDirect.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
              stitchenal

Yes the admin console shows the WedDirect Client still connected. As long as I continue to click a button the 15 minutes before disconnect is reset but the script connected to the button no longer responds. At 15 minutes with no activity the dialog warning that the session will be closed pops up. If I hit cancel, I return to the webpage but it still does not respond to a button click. The webpage itself is working, the buttons change color when I hover but the server does not execute the script (or at least send any response back to the web client.)  This database operates the same way on both a test server and the production server. We just upgraded to Version 16.

• 4. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                TSGal

stitchenal:

Thanks for the clarification.

Other than clicking the button, are you able to enter data?  If you create a new button on the layout to execute a single step, does that work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                  stitchenal

Cursor was in a global field in the header used for quickfind when I clicked on a button that did not respond for the first time. An added button with a single step no longer worked. Although I could continue typing in the global field in the header, the fields in the body could not be edited.

• 6. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                    TSGal

stitchenal:

When the hang occurs, since you are entering information into the Header, what is the current record number?

Are you able to tab out of the global storage field into the next field of the tab order?

Please post the script that is being executed when you click the button.

If the global storage field is in the Body, does the issue still occur?  How about in a Top Navigation part?

What actions are being taken before displaying the global storage field?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                      stitchenal

It does not seem to be related to a specific script.  The one I added global tracking variables to, just does a quick find using the value in a global field in the top navigation part.  I will create a couple of additional "tracking" scripts to run from different areas of the layout.

I am trying to find a way to get webdirect to hang consistently so I can begin to change things. It is certainly related to the database/layouts I am using because I have not yet been able to get it to hang on the sample databases. Because the hang seems to be related to time and perhaps multiple actions rather than a specific script/action it is difficult to troubleshoot.

For one of the buttons/scripts on the webpage I have added global variables to count the elapsed time and a count of the number of times that particular button was pressed.  Just pressing the button over and over does not necessarily cause the hang, but moving to another layout or running other scripts and then returning the button eventually causes the hang.

For example:

clicks on tracking script; Elapsed time MM:SS before hang

131; 8:37

72; 1:35

80; 1:18

82: 4:28

Is there anything in the log files on server that would be useful? Or information I can save during the execution of a script?

• 8. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                        TSGal

stitchenal:

Was this solution created in FileMaker Pro 16?  If not, what version?  If from a previous version, check to see if any of the affected layouts are still using the removed Classic theme and change them to a built-in theme.

If you want, send in a copy of your solution so we can test it here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                          stitchenal

Solution was started in either v13 or v14, installed on v14 server. The server was updated to 16 about a week or so ago.  My client does not want me to send the solution, so I am creating a paired down version with just the web layouts and test that before I send it.

Unlike the full solution, the webtest version seems to hang for awhile and then recover. It took about 30 seconds for it to start responding when that occurred. The Clientstats shows that at about that time

12:32:32:35.040 Bytes in 2170, Bytes out 316, remote calls 10; in progress 0, Elapsed 1792275; IO 0; Client: WebDirect

The TopCallStats:

12:32:32:35.040 Elapsed 1780542; Operation Query (Find); Webdirect Test:table(132)::field definitions(51), Wait Time 2467

There were a number of additional Query (Find) operations at that same timestamp but with elapsed times between 117 and 263.

In the TopCallStats, the same Query Operation on 132/51 takes about the same time without a hang.

I have Inspector Pro, but I don't see any reference to the table and field id numbers listed above. I assume those are internal to filemaker and not accessible? Since I am using quick search of fields in the current table and a related table, I am assuming the higher values are from the related table.  But most of the time the quick find returns results in less than a second.

Cache hits on the server average 100 with a low of 30.

Elapsed Time averages 0, with a high of 1,905.582.

Wait Time averages 0, with a high of 141,097

Remote Calls a second average 0, peak 231

• 10. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                            TSGal

stitchenal:

After discussing this thread with another Support Techncian, we don't have a clear idea as to the cause.  Therefore, we would like to see your FileMaker Server 16 logs as well as the catalina logs as this may provide a clue.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the log files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                              stitchenal

Where are the catalina logs?

I've have been doing a lot of testing with various versions of the database to try and narrow down what might be causing the issue and a way to consistently get it to hang. So far I have not had much luck. It will sometimes hang after as few as 100 searches and other times I give up testing after more than 400 searches and many other activities.

The hangs appears to be related to the server not updating the browser as a button click is still getting to server because:

1. the timeout for inactivity is reset.

2. if I create a new record it shows up for any other client still connected. - but not for the webdirect client that initiated the new record request.

3. the topcallstats show activity for finds, etc for the webdirect client that occurred after the browser stops getting new information from the server.

• 12. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                                TSGal

stitchenal:

The catalina log files can be found at:

[Hard Drive] -> Library -> FileMaker Server -> Admin -> admin-master-tomcat -> logs

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                                  TSGal

stitchenal:

All log files and sample database file have been received.  Thank you.

Everything has been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Webdirect Client hangs
                                    TSGal

stichenal:

Using your file, I was unable to make the Web Direct client hang/freeze.  Your file was hosted by FileMaker Server 16 under Mac OS X 10.11.6 (same as your environment), and I accessed the file using Chrome 59 and Safari 10.1.1.  In each case, I clicked the button more than 1,000 times in each instance.

Testing has also been unable to replicate the issue, clicking the button more than 2,000 times.

Testing would like to know if the browser is using any extensions or plugins.  Also, is FileMaker Server using any plug-ins?  If so, which plug-ins?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next