6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 3:16 PM by philmodjunk

Popover in Grandparent layout

kaotishe

I have a popover on the parent layout which uses a magic key and lets me enter date into a child table. On the grandparent table I have a portal to with information from the parent table. In this portal I would like to add a button which would let me enter the information into the grandchild table like I can from the parent table. If I just copy the button from the parent table and insert it into the portal on the grandparent table I get a relationship  error. But I am not seeing how to correct the relationship. The Portal for the parent information and the parent child  relationship are built off of the same parent table occurrence.

• 1. Re: Popover in Grandparent layout
          philipHPG

Please give us more information. Context is essential in FileMaker and knowing what table occurrences and relationships are involved is key. What is the base table for the grandparent layout? What is the table occurrence for the parent portal on the grandparent layout (and what is the relationship between the base table and portal table occurrence)? What is the base table for the parent layout and what is the table occurrence and relationship for the child fields in the popover in the parent layout?

• 2. Re: Popover in Grandparent layout
            erolst

Yes, the original post sounds like a soap opera script.

Learning about the real entities (things) you're trying to manage may give additional clues.

• 3. Re: Popover in Grandparent layout
              kaotishe

Base Tables

grandparent    -> SIPMAClients

Parent             -> SIPMAJobsTotalsTable

Child               -> SIPMAReOrder

Table Occurrence for parent portal on the Grandparent layout

SIPMAJobsTotals (links SIPMAClients = SIPMAJobsTotalsTable)

Table Occurrence for the child fields in the popover

SIPMA ReOrders Create ReOrder (links SIPMAJobsTotalsTable = SIPMAReOrder and allows for the creation of records via the relationship)

• 4. Re: Popover in Grandparent layout
                philmodjunk

Instead of soap, I found myself humming a C&W song: "I'm my own grandpa".

But I think that your basic relationships can be deduced here:

Grandparent---<parent----<child(grandchild)

MagicKey for parent to Child would then add another occurrence of Child linked to parent by a different pair of match fields.

To add a record to child from grandparent, requires also requires selecting or creating a parent record to which to link the new child record. How do you plan to do that? A portal to parent such that you add the child from a row in that portal?

• 5. Re: Popover in Grandparent layout
                  kaotishe

"To add a record to child from grandparent, requires also requires selecting or creating a parent record to which to link the new child record. How do you plan to do that? A portal to parent such that you add the child from a row in that portal?"

Yes, I tried copying the button from the Parent table into the portal row for the parent table on the grandparent layout. But that does not work.

• 6. Re: Popover in Grandparent layout
                    philmodjunk

Does the button appear in every row of the portal?

Does the name that appears in "Show related records from" in portal setup exactly the same as the name that appears in "Show record from" in your parent layout's layout setup?

Screen shots of your relationships and the button's script might help.