Check if record exist + IF function

alexissindicic

Hello Filemaker Community,

I have three tables

a) Campaign

b) Contact

has : website_url_clean field

c) Join_campaign_Contact

I have managed to create an import script (thanks to this amazing community) that will import contacts in the contact table.

I am looking for a function that will allow me to test, in my importing loop, if i already have a record with the same website_url_clean field.

Then

If the result is No -> I can move on and create the correct record

If the result is Yes -> I can link the already existing contact to the Campaign i'm working on

Basically i just need to understand how to test if a record in the database is already matching the record i'm trying to import.

Many thanks for your ideas

• 1. Re: Check if record exist + IF function
          erolst

If you set the validation of the field to unique, any records that violate the validation rule are not created, i.e. imported.

alexissindicic wrote:

I am looking for a function that will allow me to test, in my importing loop

If, OTOH, you don't import directly, but via an intermediate ('scratch') table, simply define a relationship between that table and the Contacts table via the website_url_clean field, and test on e.g.

not IsEmpty ( Contacts_importcheck::id )

which is True if there is already a record* with the same contents in the website_url_clean field.

*One or more.