2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 12:10 PM by washutech

FileMaker 12 to FileMaker 16

washutech

We are starting work again with FileMaker again. I am not a FileMaker programmer. I have 2 questions that may or may not sound stupid to this board.

#1 By upgrading to FM 16, would our data/tables work correctly because it was created in FM 10 and the plugin Super Container?

#2 Would the newer features in FM 16 help someone who is very rusty at FM to make changes without messing things up too bad?

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 to FileMaker 16
          steveromig

We are starting work again with FileMaker again. I am not a FileMaker programmer. I have 2 questions that may or may not sound stupid to this board.

#1 By upgrading to FM 16, would our data/tables work correctly because it was created in FM 10 and the plugin Super Container?

#2 Would the newer features in FM 16 help someone who is very rusty at FM to make changes without messing things up too bad?

#1 has several different answers

The file format between FileMaker 12 and FileMaker 16 is the same so there is no need to convert your files to use them.  You would need to convert them if were making the jump from FileMaker 10 to FileMaker 16.  However, the plug-in you are using may or may not work and you will want to contact the plug-in manufacturer to see if an update is available.

As far as #2 goes, items like the Layout Objects window alone would help in the avoidance of "messing things up too bad" but there is likely a bunch of other new features that will makes things easier for you.  Check out what has changed here..

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/version-comparison.html#fm12

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker 12 to FileMaker 16
            washutech

Thank you!