AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why are these external references being broken?

Question asked by chivalry on Jun 23, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 by chivalry

I'm working on a one-off script to update some data in a FileMaker system. When I get the data it's in an archive folder:

Archive/Table1.fmp12

Archive/Table2.fmp12

Archive/Table3.fmp12

Into this Archive folder I place my file, "Convert.fmp12" and a folder, "Shells", that has similarly named files, so it then looks like this:

Archive/Table1.fmp12

Archive/Table2.fmp12

Archive/Table3.fmp12

Archive/Convert.fmp12

Archive/Shells/Table1.fmp12

Archive/Shells/Table2.fmp12

Archive/Shells/Table3.fmp12

In the "Convert.fmp12" file I create six external references. Table1_archive points to file:Table1, Table1_shell points to file:Shells/Table1, etc.

Now I write my conversion scripts, and test it with the first archive, and everything works fine. I get a new archive from another developer with the original structure, copy my "Convert.fmp12" file and "Shells" folder to that archive folder, expecting all the file references will work, but I get an error message for each of the files, "The file 'Table1.fmp12' could not be opened." followed by the file-selection dialog to update the external reference.

Is FileMaker internally storing the full path to these references instead of the relative paths that I'm specifying? If so, would FM16's new feature of allowing external references to be specified by global variable be the solution?

Outcomes