8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2017 11:39 PM by synergy46

FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention

synergy46

Without using a lookup function, is there a way to use a record in a report and, when that record is deleted, have it still show in the report? For example, I have a membership database.  Members are either Active or Inactive.  I have an Active member report that works but if I delete a member from the database, he also is deleted from the report. Thanks for your comments. R

• 1. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
          ChrisJohnston

What about have a script that sets a variable when active? Then it could write a value in your report. So after when deleted the value written would not change.

• 2. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
            philmodjunk

You could save a PDF of the report and then insert the PDF into the container field.

• 3. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
              synergy46

Good suggestions.  Thanks But, I should probably expand on what the situation is: My membership application has members who are 'active' or 'inactive'. In order to archive the inactive members, I use Save As which copies all the records to a new file.  Then I open the file and, by script, delete the active records, leaving only the inactive. Next step is to go back to the 'main' application and delete the 'inactive' records; leaving only the active records. Great.  All this works; via script. Then I noticed (this is embarrassing) that in the meetings table, (Members and Visitors come to meetings), the deleted Inactive Members were 'REMOVED' from the meetings portal and from reports.... duh!  (what was I thinking???) What I want is for the existing reports that include deleted members to keep the member participation in the report after they are deleted.  I know I could create a lookup.  And at first I thought that unchecking the relationship 'Delete Records when..." would help.  It doesn't. So, the question is:  " Is lookup the only way to get what I want."

• 4. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
                keywords

synergy46 wrote:

I have an Active member report that works but if I delete a member from the database, he also is deleted from the report.

Of course he is; what did you expect? You cannot include a non-existent record in a report.

• 5. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
                  keywords

First a correction. You say "I use Save As which copies all the records to a new file" but this is not strictly correct. Save As … makes a copy of the entire file; it doesn't transfer anything.

Be that as it may, your dilemma is of your own making. To me it is a practice fraught with issues (and your missing person scenario is just one of them) to split the database in this way. You could achieve everything you want by keeping your member records intact and just tagging them as either Active or Inactive. Any task involving only Active members (e.g. invite them to the annual Christmas knees-up) can easily be dealt with simply by working with a Found Set. And all records will remain available for any tasks where participation status is irrelevant, or where you want to do something involving just those who are Inactive (e.g.  send them an email encouraging them to get involved again).

• 6. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
                    beverly

I have Contacts/People and Memberships (related). Since people can become active/inactive (several times!), this JOIN is where you make your report. It will pull the data from Contacts as needed. If you want a "history" you can have a record for every time they join or quit, but for your purposes, maybe only a one-one record that is added/removed with the membership status. If you actually delete the membership, you don't delete the person/member.

Beverly

p.s. mostly I have a join table (membership) because the person can be a member of several 'groups'. Even though you may not have this the same principle works.

• 7. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
                      siplus

synergy46 wrote:

is there a way to use a record in a report and, when that record is deleted, have it still show in the report? For example, I have a membership database. Members are either Active or Inactive. I have an Active member report that works but if I delete a member from the database, he also is deleted from the report. Thanks for your comments. R

Translation:

Is there a way to cook spaghetti even if I trashed all my spaghetti because their expiration date was jan 1 2010 ?

• 8. Re: FM 16 Adv - Field Value retention
                        synergy46

That is the same conclusion I came too. I just wanted to check and see if anyone had a 'work around'.... Thanks for your thoughts... funny