7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2017 6:59 AM by pruppert

Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?

pruppert

I know you can set up a certificate for FileMaker Server, but it there any way to encrypt over the wire when a solution is hosted on Filemaker Pro Advanced 16? I'd like to get rid of this ominous warming for users.

IMG_0617.PNG

• 1. Re: Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?
          wimdecorte

It's not ridiculous; it states a fact.

And no: can't do it with FMP as the host.  You could however set up an encrypted VPN connection between host and client and achieve the same result.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?
            pruppert

Thanks for the reply.

It's a little frustrating that FileMaker shows this warning but provides no way to fix it or make it go away. I presume that even if you did set up VPN, it would still show the warning since that would be set up outside the FileMaker stack. To not provide a way to address the warning in FM Pro seems like either oversight, indifference, or subtle push to upgrade to FM Server, which is currently beyond my needs. Anyway, it's not a major issue, but still annoying.

• 3. Re: Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?
              wimdecorte

pruppert wrote:

To not provide a way to address the warning in FM Pro seems like either oversight, indifference, or subtle push to upgrade to FM Server.

Nothing subtle about it.  Sharing with FMP has always been extremely sub-optimal from all angles.  So no oversight and no indifference.  All roads lead to FMS and these warnings are in place to make it clear what is missing from the FMP host scenario.

If you are sharing data then it sorta implies that the data is valuable; if it is valuable it deserves to be hosted on FMS (IMHO) to protect it properly.  Not just from a security point of view but also from a deployment stability perspective.  You could consider using one of the many FM hosting providers or use FM Cloud and pay by month instead of doing the capital outlay of buying your own on-premise FMS.

• 4. Re: Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?
                pruppert

Well, for sharing a solution to less then five people, I wouldn't say I've felt hosting on FileMaker Pro to be extremely suboptimal. To the contrary, it has performed exceptionally well for this purpose. The only suboptimal thing is this persistent warning that FileMaker shows that may not be true and for which FileMaker provides not way to deal with.

In attempt to be humorous and take this to an absurd logical end, maybe FileMaker should show us more of these persistent scary messages that are true for most situations but not all and which FileMaker provides no way to address. Again, just trying to make a joke about an annoying situation.

IMG_0619.PNG

• 5. Re: Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?
                  pruppert

Also worth repeating, I don't mean to come across as argumentative with you. I greatly admire your help on these forums.

• 6. Re: Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?
                    bigtom

You can opt to select always allow the unsecured connection and then you only get the warning once.

I initially, started working with FM in v12 when the P2P client limit was 9 and we were sharing from FMPA12 to LAN and WAN. It worked. It had some issues. I had to manually make backups daily. When v13 came along the limit dropped to 5 and we suddenly needed FMS to work with the the new version.

We could certainly afford FMS but we resisted a first. We eventually made the switch to FMS and it was an amazing change in speed and reliability. Never looked back and never runs a FMS without SSL.

Even at less than 5 people it is a good idea to run FMS.  I get that there may be situations where a small club or group manages something with FM via P2P and might never see value in FMS or SSL as the data may not be terribly important to them.

FM does make a mistake of not licensing FLT individually. But any company that has 5 or less users and cannot afford $1200-1500/year for FMS, 5 users and hosting has bigger issues to deal with.

• 7. Re: Possible to have encrypted connection when hosted from FileMaker Pro Advanced?
                      pruppert

I probably will move the Server eventually. It's news to me that you can opt out of the warning. I don't see where to do that. Any more info on that? Thanks.