1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 6:15 AM by philmodjunk

Multiple User Appointment Manager

luffyfilemaker007

Hi guys;

So I have a project of making an Appointment Manager with basic accounting.

The thing is I have many different people that work in the company.

My idea is to create a layout where I can see daily appointments for each staff.

And can switch from one to another with Tabs for example. And if I click the Tab "John - Sales Manager" for  example I would only see his related appointments. BUt on another Tab in the same "Daily Record" would have "Maria - Marketing Manager"

So I want to create a New Record daily where I can add and see all the staff appointments. But also make some daily calculations for example, sum up all Sales from John and then all sales from Maria and have one more Tab for the Daily Totals. Something like that...

Now I am not sure how to start this properly.

What I have done so far is create a "Customer" Table and an "Appointment" Table (each line is an appointment; with a customer name;date/time total sold...)

I also created a "Daily" Table, which would be the general Layout.  My idea is to create a 'Tab Control" with each Name of the staff and then in each tab create a portal Row to "Appointments".  But the problem I am encountering is that each portal row displays the same "Appointments" that have been created already. So I guess I am missing a step, maybe I should create Tables for each staff?

Are "Tab control" +"portal rows" a good idea or should I go for a List View or something  ?

I want to be able later to search only certain "appointments" based on the "company" they are working for for example...but it would have to search in all the staff members...

I am still thinking about it ,

But if you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

• 1. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
          philmodjunk

If by "portal row" you actually mean "portal", this can be done, but it's not very flexible. If you add employees, you have to edit your layout to add more tab panels.

I'd a single portal with a drop down list or pop up menu for selecting which employee's appointments to show in the portal. This would work for any number of people.

I also would not put name fields in the appointments table as I can use the name fields from the employee and customer tables in their place.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
            luffyfilemaker007

Hi;

Thank you for the quick reply.

So you think I should create a Table per each Employee ?

And then relate "Appointment" to Table  "Employee 1 " Table "Employee 2" and then each Employee Table to "Daily" (the main Record based on the day).

Or is there a way to only have one "Employee" table and still show different portals from "Appointment" on each "Tab control"?

How would you set up the relation ?

Thanks for helping me out,

• 3. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
              GuyStevens

I just had a conversation with another person who wanted to put a bunch of tabs on his layout.

That is super rigid and not flexible at all.

You are also talking about creating a different table per person.

That is about the worst thing you could possibly be doing.

How about a table called Employees and then one record per employee?

That's the normal way to start.

Then when you have an additional employee you can simply add a record.

Here are two video's I created for this person's problem.

Then are not specific to your problem.

But they might give you some ideas.

Filemaker Pro - Easy record navigation using a portal or dropdown - YouTube

Filemaker Pro - Easy record navigation between two tables - YouTube

Greetings Guy

• 4. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                luffyfilemaker007

hi ;

Thank you so much for the support.

I will check these videos and see if it works out.

Cheers,

• 5. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                  GuyStevens

These video's are not about creating an appointment manager. But rather about being able to vavigate trough records easily.

For an appointment manager you would need at least two tables.

One for employees and one for appointments.

Every appointment then needs to get an Employee ID in a field to relate it to that employee.

And that way you can get every employee's list of appointments.

Greetings Guy

• 6. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                    philmodjunk

Thank you for the quick reply.

So you think I should create a Table per each Employee ?

And then relate "Appointment" to Table  "Employee 1 " Table "Employee 2" and then each Employee Table to "Daily" (the main Record based on the day).

Or is there a way to only have one "Employee" table and still show different portals from "Appointment" on each "Tab control"?

How would you set up the relation ?

One table, one relationship, one portal.

But the match field to the portal records is controlled by the popup menu or drop down list to show different sets of records in the portal based on which employee is selected in that portal.

DailyRecords::Date = Appointments::Date AND
                    DailyRecords::SelectedEmployeeID = Appointments::EmployeeID

SelectedEmployeeID would be set up with a value list of employee IDs and their names.

• 7. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                      siplus

I don't understand whether you want a personal agenda for every member of a "staff" or a staff agenda.

I can only tell you that a portal-based agenda sux, because you need portal rows even for empties.

• 8. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                        philmodjunk

That's a good point, but users may not need to see empty time slots. A simple summary list of appointments may be sufficient.

• 9. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                          luffyfilemaker007

Hi, GuyStevens,

I just have been watching your videos and they were very helpful as always.

I realy like the fact that you can navigate from one "Character" to another with the Portal on the same page.

I am exactly looking to do something like that with instead of having "Characters" I would have my " Staff Members".

I was first thinking of a "Tab Control" System but this would work for me as well. (and to answer Siplus, it doesnt matter if there are empties rows, the only thing that matters is to show what "Customers " have been seen that day, and how much they have spend + some other infos(Payment Method, Payment Status, Remarks... ). I also know it is IMPOSSIBLE to have more than 20 appointments a day in my system, so Portal rows should be working for me)

Now my first  big problem is that I would need such a system, but one per each day.

As I want to track the "Staff" appointments by day. So if I click "Staff - John" I want to see only information(Customers, that he has seen) related to this specific day. So I guess I have to create another Table for this correct ?

What you  guys are saying is I should create a Table named "Day", and then for each "Appointemnt" somehow I should give a foreign ID related to this "Day" Table  ? And somehow have my date on the Layout and if I change that date it would only show appointments for that "Date" and for that "Staff-Member" ?

Now the other  thing is I am not only using this as an appointment but also as Accountancy and will need some Fields from each Staff's Portal for some basic calculation in another Layout. Let's say "Total Layout". This would add some Fields for example the Total Sold of "Staff- John" and addition to Total Sold " Staff -Marie".

But it would be even better if I can go this so called "Total Layout" just as I go from one Staff Member to another.

So can I add a "Staff - Member" Record as the "Daily Total Layout".

Another big thing for me is that each Staff members Portal has different types of Fields according to the person, and thus a different Portal Layout, design. for example John might have a Field "Commission". Whereas Marie has another way of being paid. It is long to explain but I need different design for each Staff. Is this possible ? Or will it always show the same design from one staff member record to another ?

I realy appreciate all the good remarks and it's helping me a lot.

I hope you understand what I am looking for, I am not sure if this is clear enough of if I am using the proper vocabulary, let me know so I can start on a good base.

Cheers,

• 10. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                            philmodjunk

This is consistent with what I suggested;

"DailyRecords::Date = Appointments::Date AND
                            DailyRecords::SelectedEmployeeID = Appointments::EmployeeID

SelectedEmployeeID would be set up with a value list of employee IDs and their names."

you have one record in daily records for each working day and select a particular employee from a value list To see a list the appointments for that employee. You can put any accounting folds that you need in appointments and you can set up summary reports on a layout to generate sales reports for any number of employees over any number of days.

• 11. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                              luffyfilemaker007

Waaaw, I struggeled to understand but I finaly could set it up exactly like you told  me !

And  it works very well.

The only problem is that when I create a new Daily record , it doesn't show my Employees in the EmployeeNamesPortal.

If I enter an Appointment record then they will show up. But they will still disappear if I select an Employee ID that has no appointments that day yet. I didn't put any global value yet, I am not sure if that has anything to do with it ...

Any idea why it acting like this ?

Thanks for the help again, it's already looking pretty great

• 12. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                                philmodjunk

Sounds like a match field in the new record is blank until you create that new appointment.

• 13. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                                  luffyfilemaker007

Can I do anything about it ?

It is my Employee_All Portal that doesnt show any names when I create a new Daily record (which the Layout is based on).  But if I enter a row in my Appointment Portal then the names will appear normally. But if I go to one Employee name that has no Appointments yet , then it also not appears.

Can you think of something wrong ?

• 14. Re: Multiple User Appointment Manager
                                    vincedubeau

Although I have never had an opportunity to work with it, this might help you out: Appointment 1.0 - Powerful Scheduling for FileMaker Pro® . It is a free and unlocked Filemaker solution released under the GPL. Worst case it will give you some ideas.

1 2 Previous Next