2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 12:24 AM by arnoldkegebein

Go to Field selects the field in a different portal

arnoldkegebein

The Setup:

• Create a portal with a field A, a button B, and a popover with a field C. Set the portal to show only one row, starting with the 1st row.
        • The button runs a script that changes values in portal field A and C.
      • Duplicate the portal with all its content, place it next to the first portal, and change the setting: show one row, starting with the 2nd row.
      • Repeat, if you like (with setting starting row to 3rd row)

The Problem:

When I append the script with the command "Go to Field [ Select/Perform; PortalTable::FieldC ]" and click the button in the second portal, field A + C in the 2nd portal are changed (as expected), but then the popover of the 1st portal opens and the field C inside this popover is selected. I expect the popover in the 2nd portal, where I clicked the button, to open.

The Confusion:

When the script goes to field A instead field C, everything works as expected. Field A + C are modified and then field A in the 2nd portal is selected.

Is this a bug or a feature which usefulness I do not understand?

~Arnold Kegebein

• 1. Re: Go to Field selects the field in a different portal
          TSGal

arnoldkegebein:

Thank you for your post.

Go to Field will find the first instance of that field on the layout.  If you need to go to a specific instance of that field, then provide a name in the Inspector for each instance of that field and use Go to Object.  In your instance, assign the name "C1" for field C in the first portal, and "C2" for the field C in the second portal.  Then, change "Go to Field" to "Go to Object" and select "C2".

See the Notes section in the Help for Go to Field:

FileMaker Pro 16 Help

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Go to Field selects the field in a different portal
            arnoldkegebein

Actual this is not true. If the portal, that contains the button, also contains the field A, then the Go to Field will go to field A inside the same portal. This will happen with any similar portal on the same layout.

Now add a popover to each portal and move the field A from the portal inside the popover. Layout Objects shows, field A is inside a popover, that is inside a popover button, that is inside a button bar, that is inside a portal.

Click the button with the script again, and NOW Go to Field will always jump to first instance of that field on the layout.

Conclusion: There is a difference in the behavior, depending on the location of the field, either directly positioned in the portal or inside a popover in the portal.

Arnold Kegebein