2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2017 5:08 PM by bigtom

Updating a Filemaker Server Database...

AdamHorne

I built a database for a friend to track his inventory.  I need to update his database with a few new layouts, scripts, etc.

Currently, he hosts the file on Filemaker Server, locally in his office in North Carolina.  I'm in Georgia, so I have no access to do this in the shop.

The internet connection is not very strong, so I would like to do all changes on my computer and not LIVE.

My thoughts are as follow:

- Close the Database on Server

- SFTP into his system and download the backup. 

- Do my updates on the backup file

- Upload it to Library/Data/Databases/ and replace the existing file

- Resume the Database

QUESTIONS:

1. Is it possible to just download the actual file stored in Library/Data/Databases/ or should I download the backup file? Or does it not matter?

2. Are there any problems that I'm not seeing?

3. With the database down, is it alright to replace the server file then start it back up? Will I have any errors?

• 1. Re: Updating a Filemaker Server Database...
          philmodjunk

The problem with updating the back up is that its data may not be 100% up to date if a user has made changes since that back up was made. So I would download a copy of the live file using the Admin console.

You can then remove the live copy and use filemaker to upload the updated copy to take its place.

• 2. Re: Updating a Filemaker Server Database...
            bigtom

This kind of update really needs a planned outage for your client.

Assuming you have all the changes tested on your development server, if you are just adding layouts and scripts it should be pretty quick. Make a checklist of all the things you need to update before starting to minimize downtime and errors.

Download a copy of the closed live file directly from the admin console. Do not use a backup.