3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 12:48 PM by TSGal

Can't eject USB key after saving a copy until closing original

realgrouchy

I'm on Windows 8.0 using FMPA 16.0.1.162

My database file is saved on my computer. When I go to File > Save a Copy As... and create a copy of my file on a USB stick, I can't eject the USB stick until I close FMPA (or at least close the file), because it says that a program is using one of the files on the drive. Yes, it's finished copying.

I am trying to eject in a Windows Explorer window by right clicking the "External Drive" icon in the left sidebar and selecting "Eject". I rarely get this error, unless a program actually does have a file open that is stored on the external memory device.

This doesn't make sense. Why does Windows think that FMPA has this file open when it should only be a copy that is definitely not open?

- RG>

• 1. Re: Can't eject USB key after saving a copy until closing original
          TSGal

realgrouchy:

Thank you for your post.

This is a function of Windows operating system.  For instance, if you save a Microsoft Word document to the USB drive, you will also be unable to eject the USB device.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't eject USB key after saving a copy until closing original
            realgrouchy

Hi TSGal,

I disagree. If I save a Microsoft Word document to the USB drive and I close that file, I can eject the USB drive without closing out of Microsoft Word entirely (I use LibreOffice on Windows, but the principle is the same). The same is true of most software I have encountered on Windows and OS X.

Allow me to clarify the situation with a use case:

DatabaseA is saved on the hard disk and by default logs in as a user with read-only permissions. On file exit, a script triggers to open the Launch Centre.

1. Open Database A as an admin with full read/write permissions.

2. Save a copy of this database on a USB drive.

Expected result 1: Because we only saved a copy to the USB drive, and not the active file, the copy of the file on the USB drive is not open and the drive should be ejectable.

Actual result 1: The drive cannot be ejected while FMPA is still open.

3. Open DatabaseB which is saved on the hard disk. Save DatabaseA to the USB drive.

4. Close DatabaseA.

Expected result 2a: The Launch Centre opens on exit and the USB drive is ejectable because the file is closed, OR

Expected result 2b: The Launch Centre opens on exit and the USB drive is not ejectable because the file is not closed.

Actual result 2a: I cannot eject the USB drive, suggesting the file is open; however,

Actual result 2b: If I try to reopen the file, it opens in read-only mode, suggesting the file was successfully closed since I am no longer logged into the file as a full access user.

Actual result 2c: I cannot eject the USB drive until I close FMPA completely, including DatabaseB, even though the file is closed as verified in actual result 2b.

There is a contradiction in here which I conclude is an error.

FYI, I've verified this behaviour in FMPA 16.0.2.

- RG>

• 3. Re: Can't eject USB key after saving a copy until closing original
              TSGal

realgrouchy:

I am getting different results.  When I save a Microsoft Word document to a USB drive, I cannot eject the USB drive unless I close the document.

In FileMaker Pro, I have to close the file before ejecting the drive.  I don't have to quit FileMaker Pro.

Do you have to quit FileMaker Pro before ejecting the drive?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.