6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2017 8:43 AM by ianlancashire

Export as PDF - Light text colour formatting issue

ianlancashire

!

Hi - Im having an issue in Filemaker 16 when using the Export as PDF function, either as a UI command or when its scripted.

The issue is how white ( or light ) text is missing when placed on a darker background when exported. It just blocks out with the darker background.

• The issue is not there in filemaker 14 at all.
      • Not an issue when printing to a printer,
      • Not an issue when using "print as pdf" or "open pdf in preview" from the mac print dialogue.
      • Not a visible issue in the preview mode in FM.

Its just in the export as pdf function, and as this is crucial to my scripts in producing my pdf workflow i'm having to switch between FM 14 & 16 all of the time if i want to make use of the new version at all.

Please see the following images that show the issue, one which is Export as PDF, and one which is Print PDF from the mac print dialogue.

Any ideas on a fix ?

• 1. Re: Export as PDF - Light text colour formatting issue
          TSPigeon

ianlancashire:

Thank you for your post!

Is your layout using the Classic Theme? (If so can you test this using a different theme such as minimalist?)

What Font are you using?

What version of MacOS are you running?

Can you reproduce this issue in a New File?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Export as PDF - Light text colour formatting issue
            ianlancashire

This isn't happening on any content created with fonts or graphic constructed backgrounds with shape tools etc, this is happening within the text area of the PDF I've dragged in to the layout to form the basis of the document.

Nonetheless i did just test it with Minimalist, and it repeated the issue. No white text on black background in this case - Also Mac OS is El Capitan.

Just dragged a PDF into a new layout in a new file and it exports in exactly the same way.

Also - key thing is this is not happening at all on FM14 with exactly the same file.

Seems to be some issue with how the layout is created when exported as a PDF

• 3. Re: Export as PDF - Light text colour formatting issue
              TSPigeon

ianlancashire:

Thank you for the files.

I was unable to reproduce the issue on Mac OS X 10.11 or the Windows Operating System with FileMaker Pro 16.0.1 (Advanced). To attempt to reproduce I followed these steps:

1. Created Test.fmp12

2. Created a Container Field, set to be Interactive, and sized it large enough to view a Page

3. Inserted your PDFs on three different records

4. File > Save/Send Records As... > PDF

The White text does show on the Black Background in my PDFs. Is this the correct procedure for "Export as PDF" or do you have additional steps to reproduce?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 11.24.57 AM.png

• 4. Re: Export as PDF - Light text colour formatting issue
                philmodjunk

just dragged a PDF into a new layout in a new file and it exports in exactly the same way.

I think that you need to describe what you mean by that in a lot more detail.

Once a PDF is created, moving it to a different layout as a layout object or moving a container field that contains it to a different layout will not change what you see when you open or print that PDF file. None of that changes the file's content.

You'd need to modify the layout from which you used Save as PDF or Print (with the PDF option) to create the PDF, then create a whole new copy of the PDF before you would get any difference in the results.

I would also preview that layout before saving as PDF to see if what is previewed matches what is produced in the PDF.

• 5. Re: Export as PDF - Light text colour formatting issue
                  ianlancashire

Hi TSPigeon

No mate, thats not the issue - here

1. Create Test.fmp12 with at least 1 field.

2. Create a Layout with Body only

3. Drag a PDF from Finder window  into the FMP window - into the body of the layout to act as a BACKGROUND to the layout ( fields to be positioned according to content ) Resize as required.

4. Create a record

5. Export as PDF using the UI command

6. Review the exported pdf against the file as displayed in filemaker

Regards, Ian Lancashire

• 6. Re: Export as PDF - Light text colour formatting issue
                    ianlancashire

Thanks for your patience with me here - I'm relatively inexperienced and self taught.

The pdfs are not in container fields, but are background objects on which fields are positioned to display the data. - I suppose in this way the pdf becomes a layout object.

The preview function does not display any problem with the text - neither does the pdf that is generated through Mac OS print dialogue ( if you select save as pdf instead of selecting a printer )

First time you know there is a problem is when you 'export as pdf'

Ive sent more screenshots to further illustrate.