10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 3:56 AM by fmpdude

FileMaker in Docker

jfletch

Does anyone know if FMS will even install in a Docker container on top of WinServer? Seems like it should, but I can't find anything about it.

• 1. Re: FileMaker in Docker
          Johan Hedman

I always try to install my FMS on Windows like this

C: OS

D: Live data files

E: Backups

F: External container data

I can use external hard drives for E: and F: if I want to

• 2. Re: FileMaker in Docker
            fmpdude
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FileMaker in Docker
              wimdecorte

Docker is not meant so much for things like FMS but for applications.  What's the benefit that you'd expect from Docker that you can't get from more traditional AWS tools like AMI templates of a fully installed and configured FMS instance?

• 4. Re: FileMaker in Docker
                jfletch

Not being a AWS expert like you, I am not sure how an Amazon Machine Instance applies here. I mostly work with self-hosting and have experience with various flavors of VMWare. My client was extolling the virtues of Docker as a more efficient way to "virtualize" than VMware.

I was not aware that FMS was not an application. I my mind, it's not an OS, so it must be an application. What am I missing?

The idea was that a container with FMS preinstalled that could be dropped on into a hypervisor or uploaded to Amazon would simplify the installation process and go a long way toward making it much easier to deploy in a variety of scenarios.

Maybe it's my confusion as to why FMS is not an application is contributing to my misunderstanding here.

• 5. Re: FileMaker in Docker
                  schamblee

FMS would be more related to System software - Wikipedia , where as software such as FileMaker would be Application software - Wikipedia

• 6. Re: FileMaker in Docker
                    wimdecorte

jfletch wrote:

Not being a AWS expert like you, I am not sure how an Amazon Machine Instance applies here. I mostly work with self-hosting and have experience with various flavors of VMWare. My client was extolling the virtues of Docker as a more efficient way to "virtualize" than VMware.

Say that you have a web application or a web service that you've written.  Docker would allow you to 'bundle' that and publish it as a fully working unit without the overhead of first installing an OS then a web server and then your web app on it.

FMS is not that. what would come close is your FM solution that runs on FMS.  That's what I meant by 'application': your solution that people can connect to.

An AMI (Amazon Machine Image) would be an OS (Windows 2012R2 say) with FMS 16 installed on it and configured like you need it to.  So that if you need to  host another copy of your solution you start with that AMI as the template for your server and the only thing you'd need to do is load up your FM files.

• 7. Re: FileMaker in Docker
                      fmpdude

So, for example, if you (Mr. OP) created a web micro-service in Java, you end up with a "fat jar file". A "fat jar" has all the dependencies (other than having Java installed on the machine) inside the JAR file. So, any libraries your service needs are in the Jar file and don't need to be installed.

Then using environments like Docker, you can extend this service with others.

• 8. Re: FileMaker in Docker
                        user19752

I'm not sure but FMS require

Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition (with Desktop Experience)

so Docker it have only Windows core or nano edition can't run FMS?

• 9. Re: FileMaker in Docker
                          jfletch

Right, I know there still needs to be an OS under Docker, unlike virtual machines, but that the containers share the OS.

So, I had a picture in my mind of being able to install a copy of FMS into multiple containers (with individual keys) on top of one instance of WinServer.

Ideally, I would like that tricky Linux version of FMS that they make available only through FMCloud installed into containers that I can install on top of the required version of Linux.

The goal is to sandbox copies of FMS for development, testing and deployment experimentation. When it works out that everything works correctly, move that container up to AWS and host it with just the right amount of resources, or move it around as different resource needs arise.

• 10. Re: FileMaker in Docker
                            fmpdude

FMI would need to put their image on the docker website so you could include it in a Docker file, right?

Docker's amazing!

I use Docker all the time for web services, to have multiple databases without having to "install" them, but most of all, to make sure I have IDENTICAL environments. I also use Docker for WordPress sites. Once you build it in Docker, you're guaranteed it'll run in any Docker container.

Docker is FREE for the community edition. It's easy to get started as there are tons of great videos on Youtube.com. I would recommend any serious software developer to get up to speed on Docker even if FMP/S doesn't (or never will?) support it.

At this point, I only have a single VM for a copy of W7 I use for "legacy" applications.