AnsweredAssumed Answered

[X-Post FMExperts] "Oh Server, I Really Don't Follow" - FMS 16 files closed but open

Question asked by StephenWonfor on Jun 28, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 by StephenWonfor

Hi

I have a beefy MacMini server getting setup for client. 

We partitioned the disk (SSD) into three partitions - FMS15 on Sierra, FMS16 on Sierra, and a “Data” disk where we store the live db’s.

Both FMS installs point at the “Data” partition as an alternate databases location.

I had both Server versions running using “Data”.

I have been trying to get some serverside plugins setup.

The rub:

1.  FMS16 Server is running.

2.  The Admin Console - in both Safari and Firefox - indicates all databases are CLOSED.  Yet, I can log into any one of them.

3.  eg.  Backup schedules will not run as there are no databases open.

4.  doing fmsadmin list files in terminal returns a list of files that I take to be open.

5.  fmsadmin close -ym BOM_File.fmp12 closes ALL the open databases.  I got a challenge on my client computer.

6.  Picking “Open All” in the console opens them all - I can get into anyone of them.

7.  Running some schedules fails because “No open databases to operate on.”  Running an other one works - even though there are no open db's

8.  The log files show databases being open and closed.

9.  I am connected to the main hosted db.  It is closed.  Server tells me there are no open databases.  No clients.

10.  I just downloaded a copy of the db via the admin console.

Things to do:

1.  Pursue this matter with the Filemaker Tech Support.  But - is it interesting enough to catch their attention?

2.  Nuke the HD and try again.

3.  Consider whether the Tri-Partition strategy might be a problem in the deployment.

Stephen

----------

"Indecision may or may not be my problem." --- Jimmy Buffett

Outcomes