AnsweredAssumed Answered

Updating to FileMaker 16 and running multiple versions

Question asked by vincerhodes on Jun 29, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 by Markus Schneider

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and to FileMaker so forgive my ignorance and I hope you can help me with my questions. I am a database developer but I'm a newbie to FileMaker itself.

I'm doing some work for a client sorting out their IT systems and they are running v12 of FileMaker (server and pro). They have a couple of newer Macs running Sierra and I was unable to get the install to work for FM12 on these two machines (they do have older Macs running FM12 fine), having done a bit of research on the internet it looks like FM12 isn't supported on Sierra which is probably the cause of my problems.

My client would like to explore the most cost-efficient means of upgrade so I'm looking into all options for her, they currently have 5 licences for FM12 and it isn't working on the two newer Macs so my question is: will it be possible to just get new/upgrade licences for the two newer machines, leaving the server on V12 and the three other working versions of Pro on V12, or is it necessary to upgrade the whole system to the latest version.

Finally, in general (I know you would need the db details to answer this question fully) if we do upgrade to V16 will there be any issues with the database they're running which was built on V12, if there are upgrade/compatibility issues between versions does anyone have a link to a technical resource where I can review the details?

Again any help much appreciated in advance.

Jimmy

Outcomes