3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 7:53 AM by bigtom

Importing Data into a field that contains storage

kdunn@mywestamerica.com

Looking for a way to import data into a field with storage? I have 2 spreadsheets 1 with Dispays and each display has up to 150 modules. So I want to import Display and put modules as a single field with 150 storage capacity. Then in another spreadsheet I get a module with up to 10 graphics graphics where I want the module in a single field and the graphics in a single field with a storage of 10. Any ideas? The data comes to me in Excel.

• 1. Re: Importing Data into a field that contains storage
          bigtom

FileMaker s different than a spreadsheet. You can have a table for your Display records and a related table for Modules. You can connect 1 module or 1000+ modules to a display with a relationship.

Same basic thing for the modules and graphics.

This kind of import takes a little work. Import the spreadsheets and build the relationships with a script. If you have samples of your actual data that would help to understand where you are headed.

• 2. Re: Importing Data into a field that contains storage
            kdunn@mywestamerica.com

The delimma I'm having that is making me use storage is I have a relationship between Modules in Modules in both tables. What I need is when you type in a display or use a pulldown I need the list of the graphics to show for the modules that are in the display.

Display1     Display2          Module1     Module2     Module3

Module1     Module2          Graphic1     Graphic3     Graphic5

Module3     Module3          Graphic2     Graphic4     Graphic6

Select Display1 or Display2 result shows

Display1     Display2

Graphic1     Graphic3

Graphic2     Graphic4

Graphic5     Graphic5

Graphic6     Graphic6

• 3. Re: Importing Data into a field that contains storage
              bigtom

Easily done except for the direct image import from spreadsheet, but

doable. You might need to modify your spreadsheet with a few extra

columns to make it go smoothly.