1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2017 3:52 PM by gofmp15

Portal Navigation

rtolliver

I have a layout with a portal that generaly displays 20 or more records. Currently users can select a record which will take them to another layout that has record details. My current script returns the user to the original layout portal but not to the record that was selected, which means they have to scroll up or down to find it. I'd like to write a script that returns to user to the record that was selected. Need help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Portal Navigation
          philmodjunk

It would help to see the script used to take the user to the "detail view" that you describe. I would guess that it uses Go To Related Record.

If you use that step with the new window option, you can open a new window to show the detail view, leaving the original window and layout unchanged. You would then close this window to return to the original layout--where the scroll bar in the portal will be unchanged and the same portal row will still have the focus.

• 2. Re: Portal Navigation
            MichaelManousos

You can grab the portal row that the user selected and went to the related record and when he returns to tha layout to go the selected portal row

• 3. Re: Portal Navigation
              philmodjunk

You can grab the portal row that the user selected and went to the related record and when he returns to tha layout to go the selected portal row

Which ensures that the original portal row is visible and selected, but perhaps not in exactly the same place as the user left it. Depending on total layout design, that can be a bit jarring.

• 4. Re: Portal Navigation
                MichaelManousos

yes but having an extra window is more confusing in my opinion if the design is single window. he will be left with many windows.

But now another idea came  up with filamker 16 you can use a card window to show the detail window this way the original window will be left "as-is"

• 5. Re: Portal Navigation
                  philmodjunk

Yes a card window would be perfect for this. A Popover is also a good option in some cases--especially in older versions.

But a new window can seem to completely take the place of the original window, so it might not be all that confusing--doesn't look that way to me any way, but YMMV.

• 6. Re: Portal Navigation
                    rtolliver

Attached is the script that's used to take users to "detail view"

• 7. Re: Portal Navigation
                      MichaelManousos

All these steps???

• 8. Re: Portal Navigation
                        philmodjunk

Why not use Go To Related records? You can still use two of these with an If step to specify different layouts, but it makes for a lot simpler script, one that can include New Window if you want to go that route. Michael and I did a bit of "serve and volley" on that idea and you can try both his and my methods to see which works best for you.

• 9. Re: Portal Navigation
                          gofmp15

Cards aren't a new idea, this could be done with a dialog window or a floating window. The card has some extra features which I like.

One could also create a linked record view on the layout that shows the related fields in question. I have used a portal for selection and when clicked on the same layout show the related fields for that record. This could be done directly on the layout or in a tab or slider.

One tab for the portal, click and go to tab 2 where the fields are displayed.

• 10. Re: Portal Navigation
                            MichaelManousos

New window,

Card window,

Popover

All with a go to related record (one of my favourite script steps)

also you should use vsriables instead of using global fields

• 11. Re: Portal Navigation
                              MichaelManousos

Of course a master-detail view is also an option depending of course on the needs

• 12. Re: Portal Navigation
                                philmodjunk

Wouldn't need GTRR with a popover or are you thinking of something that I am not? A popover leaves you on the same layout and in the same window so no need for GTRR, scripted fine or anything of that sort. With the popover button in the portal row, you just add all the additional fields you would have put on the detail layout into the popover.

• 13. Re: Portal Navigation
                                  gofmp15

A point to consider:

We tend to begin thinking a portal is limited to one report line since that is the way it is first created.

However, that is not the case. The portal line height can be as high as convenient for your layout.

Consider a portal line that is 12 fields high showing 12 verticaly aligned fields. That works. But you may only be able to show 2 rows on your layout or 3 or 4.

The convenience is that the user can edit the fields without leaving your parent record.

Click on the portal and use the box at the bottom of the field area. Drag it to resize the data area. You can adjust the number of rows in the portal.

• 14. Re: Portal Navigation
                                    MichaelManousos

Yes you are right I am a bit dizzy in Greece its past midnight and we are having 39 degrees celcius.

In popover you dont need a gtrr ita like expanding the roe in a big layout

1 2 Previous Next