10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 8:54 PM by mardikennedy

FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying

mardikennedy

Product and version FMPA/ FMS 16  ***Note: dev server, no SSL Certificate

OS and version Windows 7

Browser and version Chrome 59.0.3071; IE 11

Hardware Desktop WS

Description Solution includes images stored on corp fileshare with 'public' (general) access, but behind corp firewall.  These are visible in FMP 16/ 15/ 14/ 13/ 12/ IWP.  They are not visible in WD 16.  Message usually displayed:  "The file cannot be found".  Note:  message displayed prior to opening WD is, "... Some features of WebDirect will not function correctly. ..."

How to replicate  Preferred option is how not to replicate.

Workaround Avoid WD in test environment?

Extra observation:  Button, custom style, default,  transparent fill - this still displays fine in desktop FMP and WD IE; was fine in Chrome on Wednesday but no longer is; now appears to have black fill (on charcoal b/g).

• 1. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
          TSGal

mardikennedy:

Thank you for your post.

Since this "was fine in Chrome on Wednesday but no longer is", do you recall what changes were made between Wednesday and Thursday?

For clarification, when you say the "Solution includes images stored on corp fileshare... behind corp firewall", are these images being referenced from a Container field?

Since this used to work, can you verify the issue still works in Internet Explorer 11?  I want to confirm the message "The file cannot be found" is not displayed.  If this is the case, Chrome has somehow lost contact with the server.

Do you have any plug-ins recently enabled for Chrome?

Your post mentions this is a "dev server", but it is not clear if this issue is only occurring on one machine?  Have you tried on another machine?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
            mardikennedy

Since this "was fine in Chrome on Wednesday but no longer is", do you recall what changes were made between Wednesday and Thursday?

I only use that WS 2 days a week; I was not there on Thursday.  I am the only one doing FMP dev in that environment.  As to what the other WS user might have done re Chrome - no idea and no control.  Also, IT are constantly applying new policies across the network and there is rarely any communication involved.

Note:  this is not the core issue.

For clarification, when you say the "Solution includes images stored on corp fileshare... behind corp firewall", are these images being referenced from a Container field?

Yes - container field, calc'd path to file share.

Since this used to work, can you verify the issue still works in Internet Explorer 11?  I want to confirm the message "The file cannot be found" is not displayed.  If this is the case, Chrome has somehow lost contact with the server.

It still works in all of the cited versions.  The production server is FMS 12 and that particular db includes an IWP interface; the dev server is currently FMS 16.   It doesn't matter which browser I use for the FMS 16 WD interface - it does not display the images.  However if I use FMP/A 16 to that hosted file, it does display the images.  The solution on the prod server and the version on the dev server both reference the same images on the same file share.

Do you have any plug-ins recently enabled for Chrome?

Not that I know of.

Your post mentions this is a "dev server", but it is not clear if this issue is only occurring on one machine?  Have you tried on another machine?

I only have two servers available to me - a production server with FMS 12 and a development server with FMS 16.  I considered uninstalling FMS 16 when I was there yesterday and re-installing FMS 15 to see what happened but time did not allow.

Thanks, TSGal!

• 3. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
              TSGal

mardikennedy:

Thank you for the information and clarifications.

My apologies for not being clear.  When I asked "if this issue is only occurring on one machine?  Have you tried on another machine?", I was referring to using Chrome on another machine accessing the hosted file; not another machine for FileMaker Server 16.  To be more specific, launch Chrome on another machine and access the hosted FileMaker Server 16 file.  Are you able to display images?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
                mardikennedy

Ah, got it :-)  I'll be able to test that in around 30 hours.

atb, Mardi

• 5. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
                  mardikennedy

I can now confirm that both Chrome and IE have the same issue, using a different WS, as they both do from the original WS.

Later in the day, I will uninstall FMS 16 and reinstall FMS 15 to see if that makes a difference.

atb, Mardi

• 6. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
                    mardikennedy

Hmmm, what an annoying schemozzle.  If you've already installed (and uninstalled) FMS 16, then the FMS 15 install spits the dummy.  Java, as usual.  I'll keep fiddling.

• 7. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
                      mardikennedy

Finally got hold of a full 15.03 installer (as 15.01 would not install with the later version of Java, the updater was no good) and reinstalled 15.03.

Exactly the same results from both Chrome and IE, this time from a third WS.

The two options (I think) at this point is that it's either an FMS/ WD issue related to the absence of an SSL Certificate, or it's a permissions thing to the relevant intranet fileshare, however that seems less likely to me because the contents of the same fileshare are available to the old intranet/ IWP interface.

I'll be able to return to this problem the day after tomorrow, plus re-install FMS 16.

• 8. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
                        TSGal

mardikennedy:

One of our Testers pointed out to me that WebDirect does not support Container data that is linked by reference.  This is also documented in the FileMaker 16 WebDirect Guide:    FileMaker 16 WebDirect Guide

Therefore, your images on the corporate shared drive will not display in WebDirect.

As far as the "Extra observation" of the black fill, the Tester saw SSL enabled and FileMaker's default certificate.  This can cause buttons, styles, image fills, etc. to not display correctly.  You will need to use either http: or import a custom certificate.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
                          mardikennedy

Ah, thank you TSGal, very useful info.  I found the note in Designing a FileMaker WebDirect solution/ Step 6 Setup tasks for web users/ Working with graphics, sounds, and movies.

Mmm, this rather kills WebDirect as an option for this solution!  Pity.  It would have been nice to have deployed it.

Regards, Mardi

• 10. Re: FMS 16 WebDirect Images not displaying
                            mardikennedy

Useful discovery:  the problematic WD display of button fill (black instead of transparent or none) had nothing to do with the SSL certificate;  in fact, the default button definition still included an outer shadow.  Once this was removed, the fill displayed properly in WD.