4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 1:11 AM by bigtom

Indexing and file size?

bigtom

I noticed that indexing seems to consume a lot of space. I did a test on a file with about 7M records that was around 3GB in size. I indexed All for a few fields to speed up some finds and portals. I decided to check the file size just to see and it is now 15GB. That is a big increase. Is this a normal expectation?

• 1. Re: Indexing and file size?
          mardikennedy

500%?  Yep, sometimes.  Another factor that affects it, is the type of field content.  If, for example, you have a field that may have big chunks of text, then the indexed file will be much larger.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Indexing and file size?
            Johan Hedman

I have seen far worse when the field have a lot of text. I had a file that had a size of 3,7 GB and then I turned on index on one log field that creates text for each time the record get change per field and in very short amount of time the file suddenly was +60 GB. Had to turn index of on the log field. Closed the file and re-opened in FMP and closed it again to again open in on FMS and it was back to original size around 4 GB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Indexing and file size?
              user19752

If you "find" on the field it is needed cost, but if only for "portals", you can use "minimum" index on text field that make only "value index", avoid "word index".

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Indexing and file size?
                bigtom

I knew there would be an impact on size but I did not realize it would be so much. Which index setting is generally best for eSQL parameters?