5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 10:23 AM by coherentkris

Adding relationship tables from existing tables

lindseym

I'm starting to get more advanced with FMP, and that leads to a larger problem. When I started I had about 10 fields. Now, I have two tables, the most having 153.

Most of the 153 are what I consider "background tables" meaning the users do not need them to sort data, or find things. Is there a way I can "move" all the ones I do not want, to another table without losing all the calculations and scripts I have them running through.

I want to make it what someone does a manual sort, they don't have to scroll through looking for the 1 of 12 fields they can actually sort by. I thought about reordering them manually, but does that extend across users?

Excluding "Project" all data is imported from a CSV.

Ideally, I would like to make a few tables that contain

•Directly imported data (text fields)

•Calculated / Summary fields that would be used in sorting

•All the background stuff that the typical user doesn't need to see, or don't need access to (unless they know what they are doing).

I have shied away from doing this because I don't have much experience in it. I had help from the forum on setting it up and don't want to screw it up.

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.17.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.17.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.17.32 AM.png

Thank you,

Lindsey

• 1. Re: Adding relationship tables from existing tables
          coherentkris

creating a new table from an existing one is simply a matter of copy paste.

Then just delete what you dont want in the new table.

153 fields in a single table is not unheard of but your fields names strongly suggest you could benefit from an understanding of normalization of data.

Database normalization - Wikipedia

and data modeling

Data modeling - Wikipedia

Learning in these two topic areas (and any in the RDBMS domain for that matter) will dramatically help you in building robust,scalable, extensible solutions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding relationship tables from existing tables
            lindseym

Is this feature available in FMP? Or just advanced?

Copying or importing table schemas (FileMaker Pro Advanced)Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 9.23.09 AM.png

To copy table schema:

Open the database file that contains the table you want to copy.

Choose File menu > Manage > Database > Tables tab.

Select the table you want to copy.

Click Copy.

Open the database file where you want to paste the table.

Choose File menu > Manage > Database > Tables tab.

Click Paste.

In the mean time I will look into your links. I'm a graphic designer who started using FMP with just 10 text fields. No calculations, scripting or concept of global fields. I found out that I love all this stuff and based on what I have created, my company has changed my role to have the FMP tasks take up most of my days. I agree, I have a lot to learn-- I use to get soooooo much flack because one of my fields was named "Copy (Side A)" I've since fixed that, and streamlined many scripts etc, but as you can see I am trying to make the "code/programming/whatever it's considered" as pretty as my visual layouts. I really appreciate the links.

I recently picked up the "Missing Manual" and am trying to just read through it vs use it as a reference to help build my knowledge.

The forum is like giving me a magical calculator that gives me the answer....and enough of an understanding to do it, but not teach someone else how to do it  (which in todays need it now work place is fantastic), but tell me to do the same math on paper and I'm way out of my league

And I know 153 fields isn't a crazy number, I just meant it to show the 1500% increase in where I started.

Cheers,

-L

• 3. Re: Adding relationship tables from existing tables
              coherentkris

welcome to the fray!

yes copy paste is advanced only feature.

IMHO advanced is worth its weight in gold compared to regular FMP just for the script debugger alone...

• 4. Re: Adding relationship tables from existing tables
                lindseym

I hear so much about Advanced being amazing.

The short version is... I'm working on getting it.   I've great things about it. Most notably for me would be the feature to write a calculation and preview the answer with out closing out of the windows and going to browse mode.

• 5. Re: Adding relationship tables from existing tables
                  coherentkris

yes thats the dataviewer and its #2 on my list of most valuable things in advanced