AnsweredAssumed Answered

When are records committed during an import from a file?

Question asked by dianadev on Jun 30, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 by dianadev

Hello,

I'm working on a simple student database that tracks students, their siblings and parents. I need to import the data from Excel. I have a students table, a parents table, and a student_parent table that accommodates the many to many relationship. I'm starting with importing the students first, then the parents. (Also still working with RI in my model, so things are a little loose there right now.) I'm struggling with when I can push the student ID, parent ID and a couple other fields into the student_parent table. Right now I'm still in development, learning about and refining the import process, and manually linking students and parents through a portal on the Parent Maintenance layout after the imports are complete. Fortunately, this is a very small database, probably only adding about 50 students records per year, so doing this manually isn't really a problem. Would prefer something a little more elegant. Just not sure where to hang a script to accommodate this. Any feedback on this would be helpful!

Thank you!

Outcomes