11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2017 9:22 AM by gofmp15

Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly

mercator

In FM16, I have defined bottom-aligned labels ("XXX" in the first screenshot), that do exactly what I expect then to do: Render at the bottom.

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 03.53.21.png

When loading the database in FM16 GO, the bottom-alignment seems to be ignored (there is a huge space between the XXX and the field below):

IMG_1464.PNG

I have enclosed the FM12 file (username is Admin w/ empty password) and would really appreciate any hint how to get this rendering properly in GO 16 (making the fields smaller is not an option as on some of my layouts, I have labels/fields that spread over two lines).

Thanks a lot!

Mercator

PS: This should have probably gone to the issues thread. I have posted there and linked to this post.

• 1. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
          gofmp15

The problem could be due to font metrics and the designers decision to make one font lower than another in height and position.

To illustrate and study create a text label  xxx. Duplicate it numerous times. Align the bottom of the labels in one row.

Assign a different font, same size, to each label. Notice how the bottom of the xxx is different?

Duplicate the row of objects twice.

Asign the top alignment to one row, middle to another and bottom to a third.

Open the layout in Pro and GO.

See any difference?

I have a table I have used to generate ascii characters and use a calc field to allow 8 different fonts to be assigned using secret techniques. The user can see how the fonts react on windows, Macs and IOS.

Using 8 fonts the differences become apparent.

Anyway, use Middle for the text alignment and any difference will not be noticeable.

• 2. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
            mercator

Thanks for the reply. I don't think this is the problem: The label is more than twice as high as an individual line and it renders at the top, not the bottom. So, it is not really the font that is slightly different.

• 3. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
              schamblee

I agree with Gofmp that it's a font issue.  Not all fonts are compatible with ios.   FMGo will substitute a font if the font used is not supported.    

• 4. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                TSGal

mercator:

Thank you for your post.

The issue appears to be a damaged style.  I created a new style, applied it to the exiting objects, and the bottom alignment now appears properly under FileMaker Go.  The modified file has been attached below.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                  mercator

Hi TSGal

Thanks. There are hundreds of hours in the dev of this app. Can you give me a hint what I need to do to repair the style in the original file?

Thanks a lot,

Mercator

• 6. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                    TSGal

mercator:

All attempts I made to repair the original style failed.  In order to determine if it was a layout issue, I created a new text object, created a new style with the same options as the original file, and the new field displayed properly with the bottom alignment, so I then knew it wasn't a layout issue.  I then applied the new style to the original objects, but I had mixed results (some worked, some did not), so I changed to the Default style on those text objects, saved it, and then applied the new style to those objects with a default style and saved it.

I have sent your original sample file to our Development and Testing departments to see if there is a way to repair the original style.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                      gofmp15

Damages to a layout are not uncommon and with hundreds of hours of development and probably freezes, crashes, shutdowns, Microsoft OS updates, etc. a corrupted layout or object would not be that unusual.

Also, save a copy of the file as smaller/compressed. This makes things run smoother quite often.

Now if the layout or object is corrupted, create a new blank layout and add/adjust the various parts to the same size and select all of the objects on your old layout and paste them into the new on. Check for layout triggers, etc.

Now open this new layout in alll devices and see if that fixed the problem.

If so, then you only need to repoint your scripts to this new layout or try:

Old layout

select all

Cut

SAVE this saves a blank layout and may erradicate any messed up calcs with the old one.

Paste, this should put all of the objects back where they were.

save

test

Since corruption means an that math is corrupted in the layout, this may fix that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                        TSGal

mercator:

Testing informed me that the problem occurs because the height of the text object has a fractional value of 43.2 px.  Changing this to 43 or any other integer will correct the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                          jormond

Good info TSGal. I had dealt with this issue recently, and was just going to ask about it.

• 10. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                            mercator

All, thanks a lot. If the problem is the fractional size, that is because the grid lines and the boxes are sized in inch and it is most likely that you end with fractional points. At least I know what it is and keep an eye on it. Thanks again!

• 11. Re: Filemaker GO 16 - Bottom-aligned fields not rendering properly
                              gofmp15

mercator wrote:

All, thanks a lot. If the problem is the fractional size, that is because the grid lines and the boxes are sized in inch and it is most likely that you end with fractional points. At least I know what it is and keep an eye on it. Thanks again!

I use points instead of inches, the third choice. It's a paint to have to reset this every time. I don't understand why FileMaker Ink would use inches as the default other than inches is the default measurement in US. Points would make a more logical first choice since that is the most common measuement in computers. I've never heard of a .125 inch font measurement.

Points or pixels is delivered by filemaker when you ask the screen size.

I've only used inches for printing and making PDF layouts but I've never used a tape measure to size objects on my layout.