4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2017 8:05 AM by gofmp15

Slow Graphic loading in 16 single user mode

gofmp15

I am taking photos using iPhone and having them transferred to both iCloud and Dropbox. Then I create a folder in my local drop box folder and drag the images into it and then use import to bring them into FileMaker container fields.

I have to do this since GO does not store the metadata in pictures it takes and I want the GPS, etc. Also The filename and filepath and a thumbnail can also be entered automatically if fields are in the record for the data. The thumbnail is about 1/1000th the size of iPhone's image.

Image Import.PNG

The thumbnail works great in list view since it is small in pixels.

It seems that over 3 Megs images load slowly in 16 on my several year old laptop. I can only imagine what happens over the Internet.

This leads me to the question that has been asked before:

If I create a 'thumbnail' design to pixel match the size of the container field on a iPad size layout and one for iPhone. how will these extra fields in the record affect performance considering an opinion that FIleMaker transfers all data in the record. Or does it?

This of course brings a further question: is it the transfer of data from the drive or is it FileMaker's rendering of the image. If I have previously listed the record in a report showing the thumbnail, I would assume that FileMaker has already loaded the big container. When I think open the form of a record the slowness in display could be the rendering and not the loading of the data from the drive.

Then the final question: if I create additional container fields for images sized for iPad, iPhone, etc. within the same record, how will this affect performance in moving from record to record in a form view showing a container/image sized to fit the screen.

Somebody tell me that if I buy a new mac pro laptop the problem goes away...    Windows 10 is sluggish with photos.

• 1. Re: Slow Graphic loading in 16 single user mode
          bigtom

You do not need to leave FMGo to get latitude and longitude of an image taken with FMGo camera.

If you feel you need to do this, I do not think involving iCloud or Dropbox is the best idea.

You should likely have successful thumbnails that are easily under 50k each. Designing for the exact size of the container is also not the best design idea. You easily get smaller file images that look better when you design at larger than the container size.

Why would you ever decide to deal with a 3MB image?

All fields from a record are transferred when a record is loaded. Only objects on the layout are rendered.

Each thumbnail is a separate container. There is no relational loading unless you might be using an unstored calc. Each additional container is an additional field and adds additional data transfer.

Buying a new computer will not solve your design problems.

• 2. Re: Slow Graphic loading in 16 single user mode
            keywords

Rather than creating thumbnails as well as the main image, have you looked into how FM manages thumbnails:

FileMaker Pro 16 Help

• 3. Re: Slow Graphic loading in 16 single user mode
              gofmp15

bigtom wrote:

You do not need to leave FMGo to get latitude and longitude of an image taken with FMGo camera.

If you feel you need to do this, I do not think involving iCloud or Dropbox is the best idea.

I find that GO does NOT store the lat and long inside the metadata of the image file. Apple's camera does. I can use the container attribute of an Apple Camera image to get the lat and long but not a GO image. Please tell me how to do that if I take a photo use GO.

I have used GO to capture the lat and long using Location but that doesn't store the data in the image file just the record.

• 4. Re: Slow Graphic loading in 16 single user mode
                gofmp15

bigtom wrote:

Why would you ever decide to deal with a 3MB image?

In order to get the lat and long (that is NOT stored by FileMaker when GO takes a photograph) I have decided to take the photos using apple's Camera. This does capture the GPS data.

After connecting to my computer the new images are transfered to Dropbox and iCloud.

I create a folder in Dropbox and drag the new images into it.

I then use FIleMaker Pro to import the images. I have matching field names so that FIleMaker will autoatically insert the data shown below.

Apple's camera creates a 3 MB image so the import is 3 MB (varies). Windows 10 on my 2 year old laptop doesn't deal with these images briskly.

Image Import.PNG

I have several thumbnails to fit the size requirements of various layouts. Problem solved.