5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 12:56 AM by gdaquino

Import Records from Found Set in Same File

gdaquino

Hello Experts,

I'm currently facing this issue. Probably I forgot to check something...

Basically I need to import a found set in Table A (Order details) into Table B (Warehouse operations) in the same file.

Now, I set a script that set the found set with a 'Go To Related Records' in the Source Table, Then I Open a New Window and Go to Layout (destination) where I want to copy the found set.

Then Import Records from TO (Table A, where is the Found Set). And it takes all the records, not the found set.

I did it even manually but I allways get all records.

Can someone help me debugging it?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Import Records from Found Set in Same File
          RalphLearmont

I think you'll see that the problem is caused by having a second window.  Found sets of records are specific to each window.  Therefore try first establishing your found set in layout A, and then switch to the desination layout (Table B) in the same window and then do the import.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import Records from Found Set in Same File
            philmodjunk

Yes, RalphLearmont is correct. To elaborate on that:

Each table occurrence on your relationship graph has it's own found set, current record and sort order specific to each window that you open.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Import Records from Found Set in Same File
              alquimby

If this is a one-time situation you might consider exporting your found set from Table A to a temp FileMaker file on your hard drive. Then look at the temp file; if it has everything you want import to Table B from the temp file. You might also find that the only field you need in each new record in Table B is the related ID from Table A. That way you can peer into your Order details from Warehouse Operations.

• 4. Re: Import Records from Found Set in Same File
                gofmp15

I would say that this is the wrong approach.

Better would be to create a relationship to the items table you are trying to import into whatever you are using for the warehouse.

Your might consider using an inbetween table for just this.

Order details ---- inbetween file ---- warehouse table

The inbetween file would have a minimum of two fields:

Order Details Record ID

Warehouse Table Record ID

This eliminates the problem of accurately importing records and this can blow up on you if you do something as simple as change server computers.

Create your ware house items table to use a related link to the order items table. Thus you can see that info without duplicating it.

• 5. Re: Import Records from Found Set in Same File
                  gdaquino

Since now I always used different windows but same set, that's why worked up to now!

Now that I'm using a subset, the second window basically is not taking the right set, so I did as you suggested and worked!