3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2017 5:04 AM by mikebeargie

deleting or importing large number of records crashes FM pro adv

makerbert

So I develop this solution having 7000+ records imported over an odbc connection.

When I have the database locally on my desktop importing records or 'delete all records' (using FM pro advanced 15.0.3.305) work fine, very fast too.

When I have the database on filemaker server importing records or 'delete all records' (using FM pro advanced 15.0.3.305) crashes with two popups:

Capture.JPG

These windows are placed exactly on top of each other, I moved one for clarity.

When I have the database on filemaker server 'delete all records' using FM pro 13.0v1 in our citrix environment it works fine too. Somewhat slower but that'll be citrix.

I suspect a faulty installation on my windows 7 desktop but I already removed and reinstalled filemaker pro adv and I see no difference.

Anyone else seen this?

• 1. Re: deleting or importing large number of records crashes FM pro adv
          mikebeargie

If you are using filemaker 15 (you should get rid of 13, support is ending on 9/22/2017 for it), then you can use the "truncate table" script step. This is the fastest way to clear table contents.

For your import, I would also suggest putting the DSN on the server itself, rather than on the client. This essentially shifts the data being loaded to the server side for both filemaker and ODBC data, and opens up things like "Perform Script on Server" to speed things up.

I'm not sure it's an issue with FileMaker. There could be latent issues in your network connection or ODBC data that cause a freeze/crash. Performing stuff on the server directly will mimic the good behavior that you see when you are testing your file locally, rather than slowing it down over a network connection.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: deleting or importing large number of records crashes FM pro adv
            makerbert

Thanks for the end-of-support warning Mike, didn't know that and passed it through to my IT support.

And didn't came accross 'truncate table' before now so that'll come in handy too!

ODBC on the filemaker server is of course the way to go, I'm working with that collegue to get that working. We'll see what performance we get once that's up and running.

• 3. Re: deleting or importing large number of records crashes FM pro adv
              mikebeargie

My only other suggestion is to make sure you use the correct 32 or 64 bit ODBC manager on the server. Most likely the 64 bit one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful