14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2017 5:46 AM by schamblee

Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go

miraklemax

Is there yet a solution to attach a credit card swiper to an iPad and swipe a credit card directly into FileMaker Go? If so, what is the solution?

Chris

• 2. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
          planteg

You may also have a look at https://ipcmobile.com/products/ios-peripherals/infinea-tab-m/ They provide real good products including cases that protects iPhone and iPad.

• 3. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
            philmodjunk

Any such gadget that uses bluetooth and emulates the keyboard should work as far as data entry into FM Go is concerned.

• 4. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
              odubov

miraklemax

You may look at Infinea TAB adapters from Infinite Peripherals:

https://ipcmobile.com/products/ios-peripherals/infinea-tab-m/

https://ipcmobile.com/products/ios-peripherals/infinea-tab-4

For FileMaker Go you can use this FMLinea app: FMLinea on the App Store

I can send you redeem code for FMLinea

If you consider to create your own application, based on FileMaker iOS App SDK, you can use this plug-in:

https://imaster.tech/fmlinea_sdk.html

Best regards,

Alexey Dubov

https://imaster.tech

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                miraklemax

schamblee have you implemented a link to square? i think i could do it, just not sure that FileMaker Go can get data BACK from the iOS Square app re success/failure of the CC charge...

• 6. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                  bigtom

miraklemax wrote:

schamblee have you implemented a link to square? i think i could do it, just not sure that FileMaker Go can get data BACK from the iOS Square app re success/failure of the CC charge...

Square has an API. No need for the Square App.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                    schamblee

No, I have not implemented squares api.   

The iosSDKApp allows you to create a call back url for FM app.   .

• 8. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                      abdenterprises

FileMaker can be integrated with the Square API to process credit cards.  I'm working on an open source solution that should be available to the public some time this Fall that does just this.

But integrating with the Square API is often NOT what my clients want.  Most of my clients want a way to send a transaction from FMGO to the Square App on their iPad or iPhone so they are charged the lower credit card fees that come with using the Square App (deemed In-Person retail transactions) as opposed to the fees charged on from the Square API (deemed as "riskier" website transactions).

I had a proof of concept working recently that allowed FMGO send a url to the Square App and get the transaction result based on this thread:

FM Go: URL scheme, additional query parameter from Square Register

It now appears that Square requires calls TO their iOS app to have the Bundle ID of the calling App registered on the Square developer console.  Unless FIleMaker makes Bundles IDs of all their FMGO versions public (unlikely), then a custom app will need to be written as a "middleware" app that passes calls between (TO and FROM) FMGO and the iOS Square App.

I am open to correction on any of this, but this is where FMGO and iOS Square App integration stands at present in my understanding.

Alan

• 9. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                        schamblee

According to Square website : If the card is swipe or inserted using and use the "Pont of Sales API" then the fee will be 2.75%.   What are Square's Fees? | Square Support Center - US

You don't need middleware if you use the iosSDKapp. 

• 10. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                          abdenterprises

schamblee

Thank you for confirming and sending the link to the lower fees for the In-Person Transactions.

Using the iosSDKapp does allow the Bundle ID to specified and put on Square Developer account just like rolling your own XCODE based app (link above). 

I'm not sure using the iosSDKapp will address the issue that Square sends a "data" parameter instead of the "param" parameter that FMGO expects in the response.

miraklemax

You asked: "Is there yet a solution to attach a credit card swiper to an iPad and swipe a credit card directly into FileMaker Go?"

Here's one option native to FIleMaker Go:

http://www.formulationspro.com/pages/products/products_detail.php?id=99

I have not used this product and do not know how tightly it can be integrated with an existing solution. 

If you want to integrate with credit card processing iOS apps via urls to get the cheapest processing fees possible such as CardSwipe or PayPal or Square (all of which handle the actual processing of the credit card and regulatory and legal issues like PCI compliance), then you'll have to plan for things like the url calls involved.  I'm offering up my experience with Square so you know what to expect should you go down that path. 

If you want to integrate with an API that processes credit cards, that's doable natively on FIleMaker Go now that SSL for curl is supported.  You'll likely pay higher fees this way and because you will be capturing credit card data in your FileMaker app, you will need to make sure you comply with all regulations regarding payment card data for your country/region.

Hope this helps,

Alan

• 11. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                            schamblee
                            I'm not sure using the iosSDKapp will address the issue that Square sends a "data" parameter instead of the "param" parameter that FMGO expects in the response.

It should work with your app, the iosSDKapp uses the same rules as any other sdk for ios devices.  When you build your app xcode allows you to create a callback url.    The call back url handles the information exchange between the database and Square, Inc. 

FM16 has built-in JSON abilities, which also should work in FMGo16.  

Square Connect API Documentation

• 12. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                              schamblee

The postman information is located in the above link.

Running Postman to explore APIs

Postman is an app for easy RESTful API exploration. Use our "Postman Collection" to try Square's Connect endpoints. Read our blog post on setting up Postman and configuring it   with your API credentials.

• 13. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                                abdenterprises

The issue with getting  results back into FMGO from Square is not the ability to specify a callback url, it's that the Get (ScriptParameter) on FMGO is looking for the "param" parameter in the response from Square and Square is hard coded to send the response using a "data" parameter. 

Many folks in the various discussions of this FMGO and Square integration have missed this point. 

FM Go: URL scheme, additional query parameter from Square Register

user19752 got this point in the discussion above when he wrote: "Ouch! sorry I didn't read the first post well. As you was afraid, fmp: URL don't get generic parameters. You would need external call back proccessor or parameter replacing type app."

FMGO, compiled or not, can't evaluate the hard coded "data" parameter that Square uses. 

Compiling an FMGo App with the iosSDKapp is not going to change how Get ( ScriptParameter) works or how Square sends back a response with a "data" parameter.

It may help everyone to see an example:

Here's a sample call to Square from FMGO file named FileMakerSquareIntegration:

square-commerce-v1://payment/create?data=

{

"amount_money":{

"amount":100,

"currency_code":"USD"

},

"callback_url":"fmp://$/FileMakerSquareIntegration?script=square_response&param=",

"client_id":"CLIENTIDHERE",

"version": "1.3",

"notes":"Test",

"options":{

"supported_tender_types":["CREDIT_CARD"],

"auto_return":true

}

}

When Square is activated and the user processes a credit card, Square uses the callback url and sends data back to fmp in this format:

fmp://$/FileMakerSquareIntegration?script=square_response&param=&data=[SQUARE RESPONSE HERE]

^^^^^^  ^^^^

When Square opens the url above and the square_response script executes a Get (ScriptParameter) script step, the result is null because it evaluates the "param" parameter which is empty.  Square hard codes the response in the "data" parameter. 

Compiling an FMGO app with the iosSDKapp is not going to change how Get (ScriptParameter) works or how Square hard codes the result in a "data" parameter. 

dbermann has posted a simple middleware app that replaces the "data" parameter with "param" so Get (ScriptParameter) will work as expected.

I'm open to correction on any of this.

Again, I'm offering my experience, many hours of testing and investigating, on this to let the original poster know what's involved with Square Integration, which is going to be similar for lots of other Credit Card Processing Apps on iOS. 

At this point, I would wary of trusting my business credit card charging to a process that I consider as fragile as the one between FMGO and the Square App. (at least right now).  App updates and OS Updates have broken things in my testing over the last year and it also requires non-standard (ad hoc) deployments etc. to make it all work.  This is far too risky for me to recommend to anyone or use myself except for learning and development. 

Far better to pay slightly higher credit processing fees and integrate with an web API, at least at this point IMHO.  Again, I hope to finish a SquareIntegration database for FileMaker that syncs FileMaker with Square, including the ability to charge credit cards via the API.

If someone is already working on FM-Square Integration, reach out.

I hope this helpful,

Alan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: Credit Card Swipers and FileMaker Go
                                  schamblee

I would look at using FMP URL scheme to get the data into FM. FMP URL Scheme and the 13.0v2 Improvement | iSolutions.

I was not recommending anyone to use Get(ScriptParameter).

Actually I would use insert from url, then if I didn't have luck then I would try the FMP URL Scheme.   Insert from url has been improved in FMP16 with JSON.   I have used the Dropbox API, which passes information back to FM.   Dropbox sends all the information about the files/ folders  in the dropbox  account.