10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 11:58 PM by CICT

Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays

CICT

Has FileMaker Pro v16 been tested running in the latest Citrix Receiver v12.6 for Mac using, for instance, a MacBook with an external display?

FileMaker v16 appears to work acceptably on Citrix Receiver 4.8 from a developer and user point of view on Windows. However, running in Receiver v12.6 for Mac, in our experience, it is unusable. Something as simple as opening the script workspace, then clicking on this results in the background main window jumping to the front when maximised.

When not maximised, it is a little better, but very dependent on the location of the foreground window in relation to the background. We first found this problem with a client's old multi-file system, where a script in one file calling a script in another to bring that file to the fore. When clicking on this new front file results in the original background file immediately jumping to the foreground, making it impossible to edit the data.

The experience is much better when only running a single display.

We've tested this in Mac OS X El Capitan and Sierra on an old 17" MacBook Pro (2009) and a 2017 MacBook 12" using Filemaker Pro v16 Advanced.

Many thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
          TSGal

CICT:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, the System Requirements for FileMaker Pro 16 show the Citrix ICA client minimum requirements are:

Windows: Receiver for Windows 4.1.2

OS X: Receiver for Mac 11.8.2

OS X Receiver for Mac 12.6 has not been certified.

See the complete System Requirements for FileMaker Pro 16 in Knowledge Base Article #16353:

System Requirements for FileMaker Pro 16 and FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced | FileMaker

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
            CICT

Thanks TSGal

Could you also advise whether I need to downgrade my 2017 MacBook to Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks to run Citrix Receiver 11.8.2, both of which were released in 2013?

More useful, perhaps, would be whether Receiver 11.9.15 released in April 2015 has been certified, or 12.1.100 that introduced split screen support for El Capitan in February 2016, or even 12.3 that introduced support for Mac OS X Sierra in September 2016?

I also note that the Windows version 4.1.2 was released before Windows 10 was released, therefore isn't FileMaker 16 certified to run within Citrix Receiver beyond Windows 8.1?

By the way, FileMaker v15 runs very well in all the latest versions of Citrix Receiver within Mac OS X, Windows and Linux (and IOS and Android), therefore we suspected this may have been a FileMaker 16 MDI/SDI issue.

Many thanks

Andy

• 3. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
              TSGal

CICT:

I have sent both of your posts to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
                TSGal

CICT:

Testing doesn't believe it is necessary to downgrade the operating system.  The recommendation is to install Citrix Receiver 11.8.2.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
                  CICT

Wow, so your team are recommending installing 4 year old software to run software released 2 months ago, FileMaker 12 and eventually 13  were the current versions when Receiver 11.8.2 was released.

Hard to believe, but we'll give it a go, particularly as other posts have stated that to run v16 on Citrix on Windows it is imperative to run the very latest v4.8 of Citrix Receiver.

We'll report back shortly.

Regards

Andy

• 6. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
                    CICT

Dear TSGal

I believe it is time to start taking this seriously. To follow your recommendations we did try Citrix Receiver 11.8.2 running in Mac OS X Sierra and to nobody's surprise, it is too old to run and we believe this is incompatible with current Macs.

I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when suggesting we downgrade to an unsupported operating system previously, as it was a joke, much like being asked to install nearly 4 year old software, when Apple only support the last 3 (year's) operating systems back.

We believe FileMaker v16 running within Citrix Receiver has a problem with dual display support as a result of your adoption of SDI. FileMaker 15, 14 and 13 all work fine using dual displays in all versions 12.2 to 12.6 of Citrix Receiver. The only one that doesn't is FileMaker v16. We believe you will find that any version of Citrix Receiver before 12.2.0 is incompatible with Mac OS X Sierra due to SSL problems. Ironically, the adoption of SDI has dramatically improved the experience when using Microsoft Remote Resources and Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac (I know this isn't officially supported, but it now runs very well when compared to the older MDI versions).

I would suggest that your technical team test a version of Citrix Receiver that is supported by the current Mac range using a dual display. I believe they will find it unusable in multi file solutions and even the simplest window handling of the script workspace and other dialogue boxes/windows.

We look forward to this being tested internally to backup your FileMaker Pro v16 tech specs web page.

Kind regards

Andy

• 7. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
                      TSGal

CICT:

Your comments have been sent to Development and Testing for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
                        TSGal

CICT:

Having just visited one of the testers, we were able to duplicate the issue with opening the script workspace, only when you click on an area in the Script Workspace that covers the main window.  If you click on the Script Workspace that doesn't cover the main window, then it will not jump back to the main window on subsequent attempts.  This appears to be a Citrix issue as the issue can be duplicate when using XPS, where clicking on the foreground window jumps to the main window.

The tester also set up a dual monitor display, and again, the issue only occurs when an introduced window covers part (or all) of the window beneath, and you click on an area of the foreground window that covers part of the window beneath.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
                          CICT

Thanks TSGal

Did you try other windows such as 'Manage Layouts' or a multi-file solution, which we've also found to have the same problems?

It is interesting that you highlighted XPS as having a similar problem, we have subsequently tested running Word and Acrobat together with and without FMP v16 and agree, Citrix Receiver for Mac does appear to have problems with multiple windows.

We'll report this to Citrix and suggest you do the same, as currently FileMaker Pro v16 is unusable in many cases when running with Receiver for Mac.

Thankfully the majority of our customers use Windows and FMP v16 does run very well via Remote Resources (much better than v15 and earlier) for Macs, which is the way we're moving for the future. However, we do have some legacy Mac users where this will need sorting.

All the best

Andy

• 10. Re: Citrix Receiver for Mac, FileMaker v16 and dual displays
                            CICT

To confirm that this has now been raised on the Citrix Mac Receiver discussion forum, but would suggest you use whatever developer relationship you have with Citrix to report this.

Currently we'd consider FMP v16 incompatible with Citrix when running on Macs.

Thanks

Andy