AnsweredAssumed Answered

mapping duplicate entries to NOT overwrite previous entries but put second or third data fields into other target fields.

Question asked by lenmarino on Jul 7, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 by mikebeargie

I have a DB that we use in our executive search business.  There is a unique identifier for each record like a license number (for each individual).  this is a long term problem which I have never been able to solve with my limited skills in Filemaker (I've been using the program since it first came out and was owned by Claris)

I'm importing data provided to me by State licensing bureaus and usually furnished to us in Excel format.  The import is matched to our existing DB via license numbers which are unique.  Many of these individuals have Multiple certifications we need to import.  So what happens is that each unique ID in the state supplied source documents have multiple entries under the same Unique IDs all listed on separate lines in the Excel sheet.  So upon importing using the matching license number as a unique ID, it brings the data into the import field.  The next line that has that same number overwrites the first one and it goes on and on and I end up with only whatever was imported last.  I have four separate fields for this certification data, but can't figure out how to get the program to import the second, third and fourth occurrence to move to the sequential separate fields.  Anybody know how to solve this problem?

Outcomes