AnsweredAssumed Answered

beginner to FM setting up salary and staff management-- help

Question asked by joelshu on Jul 8, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 by joelshu

Hi FM community,

Forgive me if this is not entirely the correct place to begin, but I have some very primitive database design question as I'm beginning to learn my way around FM Pro. It's only been a few days with the software, but I'm hoping with many real-world uses that I already have for FM, I have plenty to work with in order to help me learn -- to a point.  Up until now I only have decent experience in spreadsheets, and while trying to move into FM and build an employee database for managing/tracking salaries and bonuses, I've been incessantly hitting walls and stopping.

So the basics of what I'd like to create is as follows:

1) Employee roster (name, contact info, salary specifics

2) Employee Activity-by-month (which staff were around or 'in attendance' each month)

3) Company performance sheet (recording company performance by month, and thus total bonus to be allocated)

4) Employee review sheet (monthly tabulated review and score, per employee --- per month)

5) Employee salary sheet (final salary sheet per employee, with full details for bonus etc)

Some of these are really basic. I thought it best to break up each element into their own spreadsheet just so I can see how the data relates. However, on one hand some of the items I can't figure out exactly how best they'd look as a spreadsheet, and on the other I'm not sure if some need to be broken down into multiple sheets. So the general architecture somewhat alludes me still.  Things like #2, the monthly staff attendance sheet, will that end up being a table of fields according to name or by date? Perhaps I've been looking at this too long. 

As you can see I'm coming at it from nothing, but have a somewhat good idea of how it can all look in the end.  Until now I've created a single Numbers worksheet each month, duplicating the previous months set of tables, with all the data on one page and each table relating to each other right front and centre.

Looking forward to hearing your insight.

J

Outcomes