8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 1:22 PM by TSGal

FMPA 16v2 updater work?

hschlossberg

I launched the update through FM16 Help menu > Check for updates.  It said an update was available, did something and then said it would update and restart.  It never restarted by itself, and when I restarted manually it is still in 16v1, no upgrade.  I've tried this twice.  I'll do the manual download and install method, which I assume will work...but just FYI on the auto-update process. (Win 7 x64)

Howard

• 1. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
          TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  The updater completed and I can confirm FileMaker Pro 16.0.2 is now running on my Windows 7 computer.

I noticed you have been submitting ETS reports.  Do you still have an ETS build on your machine?  If so, the updater will not work.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
            hschlossberg

If the last ETS build number was the same as the release build, then I would not have upgraded to v1 when it was released.  I seem to recall the release was different and that I did upgrade at that time.  Nonetheless, I've already downloaded the v2 upgrade manually and it installed properly for me.

• 3. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
              TSGal

hschlossberg:

The last ETS build was not the same as the release build.  The updater does not work when an ETS build exists on the machine.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
                beverly

When you are in Fight Club, Howard, you don't talk about Fight Club. And when one fight is over, you completely walk away from the opponent before taking on the next.

Beverly

• 5. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
                  Michael Frankel

Hi Howard -

I've read comments from various sources, telling about successes and failures with this update.

In the course of performing the update for myself and my clients, following the instructions exactly, and still experiencing my own problems, I came to the following conclusions:

1. The auto-update mechanism seems to be broken in FM 16 or the update files are mis-configured.

2. I experienced these problems on multiple machines, multiple operating systems (Mac & Windows), and under varying conditions.

3. None of the auto-update functions worked smoothly for me - that was universal.

I know that some people might have had a smooth experience, however the purpose of the auto-update mechanism is to make things easier. That has not been my experience so far. In one case, the auto-updater did not even run.

In ALL cases, running the manual updater worked, so I don't believe there is anything problematic with the various computers that I ran the auto-update on.

And, since the problem occurs on multiple operating systems I don't believe it is specific to one operating system - it's specific to the auto-update mechanism.

I believe that FileMaker needs to fix this.

Thanks,

--

Michael Frankel

Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

PS. I do NOT have an ETS build of FileMaker on any of the machines I updated.

• 6. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
                    TSGal

Michael Frankel:

I auto-updated from FileMaker Pro 16.0.1 to FileMaker Pro 16.0.2 on the following machines:

Mac OS X 10.11.6

macOS Sierra 10.12.5

Windows 7

Windows 10

Can you provide any other detail about "under varying conditions"?  Is there anything out of the ordinary regarding your computing environments?  What other applications were running at the time of the auto-update?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down factors that cause the auto-update to fail.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
                      Michael Frankel

Hi TSGal -

I'll let you be the judge of what "out-of-the-ordinary" means. From my perspective, none of the environments ore conditions are different than what you would expect to find in a normal business environment.

On the Mac, which is a late 2015 Retina 5K 27-inch iMac, here's what I have running on a normal basis:

Keyboard Maestro

iStat Menus

Arq Agent (Amazon S3 backup)

Dropbox

Default Folder

Team Viewer

LogMeIn

Fantastical

Forecast Bar

Alfred

Evernote

Chronosync Schedule & Chrono-Agent

Transporter Desktop (NAS)

Growl

Smart Reporter

Eject

Typinator

Bartender

Parallels Toolbox

Keep in mind that none of these programs affect updates for any other programs including Apple Software Updates.

For the PC, there are two different environments.

For the first one, it's a PC Server running Windows Server 2012 R2. This machine is one I use for both FileMaker Server 16 and FileMaker Advanced 16 (for remote development and robot machine operations). The  programs I have running on that machine are:

LogMeIn

Monitoring Agent (Watchman Monitoring)

CloudBerry Backup Agent

For the second one, it's a PC workstation running Windows 7 Professional, it's my primary remote development machine. The programs I have running on that machine are:

various QuickBooks 2017 agents

various VMware Workstation agents

AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition (version 16)

LogMeIn

Monitoring Agent (Watchman Monitoring)

Dropbox

Similarly to the situation with my Mac, none of these programs seem to affect any other software updates including Windows Software Updates.

I hope that information helps you.

Thanks,

--

Michael Frankel

Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMPA 16v2 updater work?
                        TSGal

Michael Frankel:

Thanks for the information.  I'll wait until I hear from more customers having trouble so I can compare.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.