3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 11:21 PM by CarlSchwarz

Using FM Cloud as a stand-by server

Vaughan

FM Cloud has just been announced in Australia, which is wonderful.

We already have our own internal physical FM Server hardware and are not likely to change for some time. However I am interested in the potential for FM Cloud as some kind of redundant or stand-by server that can be activated if necessary.

Has anybody got any experience in setting this up?

I note that the FMS stand-by server feature is listed as a depreciated technology in FMS 16.

• 1. Re: Using FM Cloud as a stand-by server
          CarlSchwarz

Vaughan wrote:

FM Cloud has just been announced in Australia, which is wonderful.

We already have our own internal physical FM Server hardware and are not likely to change for some time. However I am interested in the potential for FM Cloud as some kind of redundant or stand-by server that can be activated if necessary.

Has anybody got any experience in setting this up?

I note that the FMS stand-by server feature is listed as a depreciated technology in FMS 16.

I guess you already know that FM Cloud doesn't have the full set of features that FileMaker Server does, e.g. there is no Custom Web Publishing with XML / PHP.

I also believe that the deprecated stand-by-server functionality is not included.  I couldn't find the settings for it in the documents here: FileMaker Cloud Help

• 2. Re: Using FM Cloud as a stand-by server
            Vaughan

Thanks Carl.

• 3. Re: Using FM Cloud as a stand-by server
              CarlSchwarz

A suggestion for an offsite standby server is to have regular offsite backups of your database and settings, this setup is only as good as the backup frequency however.  If you use an 'opener' file then you could point that to a DNS entry that you manage so that you can repoint the DNS over to another server when you need.

Also set-up an Amazon EC2 instance in Sydney and have it ready to go with FileMaker Server installed, an EC2 instance that is shutdown costs around $3 USD per month to have sitting there.  Then you can use an S3 bucket in Sydney for your offsite backup location and when you need it you should have the data up and running in a minimal amount of time (note I haven't tested S3 in Sydney to EC2 Sydney transfer speeds but they may be local transfer speeds).

1 of 1 people found this helpful