7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 2:26 PM by rsmith11

Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16

rsmith11

Hello,

I have an old FileMaker Server 11 running, with clients connecting using version 11.  I plan on building a new FileMaker Server 16 rather than replacing the existing server.  As I understand it, I simply cannot copy over the files from the 11 Server to the 16 server, as they are using the old fmp7 file format.  What are my options for migrating users over to the new 16 server?  It appears that users will first need to update their client to version 16, then either connect to the old 11 server to update the file, or download the file locally to update to the new format, then once completed copy the updated file to the new 16 server.  Any advice on the best path is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16
          steveromig

Hello,

I have an old FileMaker Server 11 running, with clients connecting using version 11. I plan on building a new FileMaker Server 16 rather than replacing the existing server. As I understand it, I simply cannot copy over the files from the 11 Server to the 16 server, as they are using the old fmp7 file format. What are my options for migrating users over to the new 16 server? It appears that users will first need to update their client to version 16, then either connect to the old 11 server to update the file, or download the file locally to update to the new format, then once completed copy the updated file to the new 16 server. Any advice on the best path is greatly appreciated.

Here is a high level overview of what you need to do.

1. Make a copy of your .fp7 files
          2. Using FileMaker Pro 16 or FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, convert the files from .fp7 to .fmp12 format
          3. Take the converted .fmp12 files and host them in your newly installed / configured FileMaker Server 16
          4. Have FileMaker Pro 16 or FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced clients connect to the newly hosted files.

FileMaker 16 clients cannot connect to a FileMaker Server 11 and even if they could, that isn't how one converts files - they would need to be converted prior to hosting them as you eluded to the the last part of your original post.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16
            philmodjunk

To convert a file, simply launch FileMaker 16 and use "Open" to browse to and open the Fp7 file that you want to open. The act of opening it will produce a converted copy with the .fmp12 extension and file format.

If you have a group of files all linked to each other with external data references, best to do the entire group of files in one conversion.

• 3. Re: Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16
              CICT

You've been given good advice here.

The one thing I'd add is to follow this and then test, test, test and test again before going live (repeating the conversion process when you do). You're making quite a leap in terms of technology and you need to ensure the system works in the new software before releasing it into a live environment.

Try to get a selection of users to do some  processing within this test system, ensure PDFs are created and can be opened and printed by both Macs and PCs. Ensure any integration with Outlook works, amongst other things.

Check all your users' computers meet or exceed FileMaker's minimum specification for v16.

The new features within the current version are fantastic, but it has not necessarily been a smooth ride along the path from v11.

Kind regards

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16
                FileKraft

is your FMS16 a new box? check that the OS matches the requirements in any case ..

• 5. Re: Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16
                  CarlSchwarz

rsmith11 wrote:

with clients connecting using version 11...  It appears that users will first need to update their client to version 16

FileMaker Pro 16 looks different to FileMaker Pro 11 especially on Windows.  The biggest change is probably that FileMaker on Microsoft Windows now has independent FileMaker windows rather than having windows inside the main FileMaker application window.

I suggest that you grab one of your FileMaker backups and update those files to v16 and test that.  Work out what you need to change, and then update your server/clients to v16 after that.

• 6. Re: Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16
                    Vaughan

Might want to install FMP15 on the clients initially, until you can do sufficient testing in 16 to check the new window behaviour doesn't create any surprises.

• 7. Re: Migrate from FileMaker Server 11 to 16
                      rsmith11

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies.