4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 12:10 PM by rockdoc90

Issues with portals and containers

rockdoc90

Hi,

I have a master table of field stations, with a portal to a daughter table for photos, such that a given field station may have multiple photos associated with it. The photos are linked in container fields in the daughter table and may be edited from the master table. The daughter table also has text fields for the station number (the linking field) and photo descriptions.

For reasons unknown,  the portal only fully displays and allows editing of the first row. I can create a second record in the portal, but can only edit the text fields. The container fields are not even displayed in the second row (but they are in the first row). I made sure to show up to 4 records in the portal. I have several other portals to other tables set up - mostly just text field tables - in the same master table, and they do not have this problem. It seems to be an issue with the container fields.

Even when I add the records manually to the daughter table in it's own Filemaker window, the containers still only display for the first photo.

Any help is appreciated

• 1. Re: Issues with portals and containers
          Vaughan

Make sure the fields in the portal row match the TO of the portal. Betcha they don't.

• 2. Re: Issues with portals and containers
            philmodjunk

Also make sure that they are not "optimized for interactive content". Make sure that they are optimized for images.

• 3. Re: Issues with portals and containers
              realgrouchy

Considering the fields are only showing for the first record, it sounds like the fields are not actually in the portal. Make sure the objects are all fully within the portal, and that they aren't grouped with an object that is outside the portal. You can also try moving the portal and if the fields don't move with it, this is the reason.

Note: if an object is outside a portal and you use the "align [left/right/top/bottom] edges" feature to move it over top of a portal, it will not move the object into the portal. If you select the objects that are overtop the portal and use the arrow keys to move them left and right once and this should associate them with the portal.

Also, when I say "within the portal", it has to be fully within the portal row, it can't be over the space allocated for rows beyond the first.

- RG>

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Issues with portals and containers
                rockdoc90

Thanks, RG, that seems to have been the problem. At some point I moved the fields to make them fit better, and moving them for some reason disassociated them with the portal.

I think they were under the portal because when I moved them again they were still separate. However, deleting the portal and re-inserting it fixed the issue. Still not sure how to move fields within a portal without causing this problem though.

Anyway, thanks for your help!