4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 5:04 AM by mikebeargie

FileMaker Licensing for Teams with Microsoft RDP

RobWestergaard

Is it possible to use FileMaker Licensing for Teams with Microsoft RDP? Specifically, can I (may I) install the version of FileMaker Pro that comes with FileMaker Licensing for Teams ("FileMaker Pro (for User Connections)") onto the RDP server and have multiple users connect to FileMaker Server using that?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Licensing for Teams with Microsoft RDP
          mikebeargie

Yes, assuming that the number of users you have in Active Directory matches the user count of your filemaker team license.

However, you cannot create an RDS environment for 50 users and only purchase a 5-pack FLT license and attempt to use it as a concurrent license (5 users at a time connecting to filemaker, but 50 AD accounts). For that you need to purchase concurrent licenses.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Licensing for Teams with Microsoft RDP
            RobWestergaard

Thanks for the reply, Mike. My client is indeed in a situation where there is a subset of 15 users in a ~50-person company that will be using FileMaker, and a smaller subset of them will be using Microsoft RDP on occasion.

I'm having trouble keeping track of the nomenclature, here (no fault of yours). By "concurrent licenses" do you mean the "legacy" licensing for FileMaker Server + FileMaker Pro? If so, are you saying that, in addition to the 15 licenses of FileMaker Pro they need to buy for those 15 users, they will also have to buy concurrent connections, like for FileMaker Go/FileMaker WebDirect users?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Licensing for Teams with Microsoft RDP
              jormond

Each unique person that will use FileMaker will need to have their own license. So if they have 15 users using FileMaker, you need 15 licenses.

One thing to compare, Site License. Site License means you pay for a license for every user in the company ( so in this case, 50 ). But it may not be far off in price, and you could use FM for a larger audience. Just a thought. Not sure where you will end up with pricing. May be worth talking to a FileMaker sales rep.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Licensing for Teams with Microsoft RDP
                mikebeargie

Yeah, what josh said. The number of users in your filemaker license is relevant to how many people use filemaker. So if only 20 of 60 employees use filemaker, you need 20 seats on your “team” license of filemaker.