Server:

FileMaker Server 16.0.1.184

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, SP1, 64-bit

Virtualized 8-core Intel Xeon 2.60 GHz processor with 32 GB RAM

iPad mini:

FileMaker Go 14.0.4

iOS 10.3.2

iPad mini 4; model MK6J2LL

When selecting the 'Hosts' in FileMaker Go 14, the system displays 'No files available'. This occurs whether we use the DNS entry for the server, or the assigned IP address. There is an SSL certificate installed on the server, but we do not receive any type of security warning using either DNS or the IP. I also tried to connect from FileMaker Go 14 running on my iPhone 6S with the same result.

We had been using FIleMaker Go 14 for scanning bar codes in the shipping department due to a perceived issue with scanning in FileMaker Go 15. (The camera took longer to focus on the QR code and would not work in low light.) With the new update to FileMaker Go 16 and a change to the 'Resolution' setting in the 'Insert from Device' step in the various scripts used for scanning, we are able to scan quickly and reliably from FileMaker Go 16 on the same device indicated above and plan to roll the new version out to all of our devices. However, I wanted to report this issue since documentation indicates that FileMaker Go 14 should be able to open files hosted by FileMaker Server 16.

• 1. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
          greglane

I've seen the same issue with FileMaker Server 16.0.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. FileMaker Go 14 clients won't connect. The same clients will connect to FileMaker Server 16.0.1 on Mac servers. I haven't researched it beyond that.

BTW, the following page says support for running FileMaker Server 16 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 has been removed. The system requirements page says that Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is supported (but deprecated). 

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16005/~/deprecated-features-in-filemaker-16

• 2. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
            tweller860

Greg,

Thank you for both the confirmation and additional insight. At the request of our IT administrators, we moved from FMS 15 running on a Mac Pro to a virtualized Windows server when we upgraded to FMS 16. From their perspective, the VM environment, with its shared resources and redundancy, makes backups easier to manage and potential disaster recovery plans easier to implement. Since we were planning to make this move, I haven't installed FMS 16 on macOS to do any testing of my own.

Also, the deployment on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is temporary, but our team has to upgrade some of our VMware components before we can begin using Windows Server 2016. Again, thanks for the heads up on the deprecation notice.

Have a great day.

Best regards,

TW

• 3. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
              TSGal

tweller860 and greglane:

Thank you for your posts.

Although I am unable to test at this time, I have sent your posts to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
                TSGal

tweller860 and greglane:

Our Testing department cannot reproduce the issue.  I visited with one of the testers, verified the two FileMaker Server 16 machines are Windows Server 2008 R2 (one with default certificate, one with valid certificate), and using FileMaker Go 14.0.4 on an iPad Pro, the tester could see the files on both servers, and was able to connect to FMServer_Sample.fmp12 on both servers.

Let me know what we are doing differently than you so we can reproduce the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
                  tweller860

Good afternoon.

I apologize for the delay in responding. I've been dealing with another issue unrelated to our upgrade to FileMaker Server 16 for the balance of the week.

First, we are attempting to connect to the new server with an older iPad mini. As I sat down to draft this response,  I just noticed that Testing used an iPad Pro. I didn't get a chance to try the process with an iPad Pro running FileMaker Go 14 before leaving the office today. Is that worth trying? Or would you expect us to see the same response regardless of hardware?

Second, the new server resides on the same network (and subnet) as our FileMaker Server 15 deployment did. I talked with our IT group this morning and they are unaware of any changes made to the switches and/or routers that would change the way the data moves on the LAN.

Finally, due to an established vendor relationship, we purchased a RapidSSL certificate through GeoTrust instead of the officially supported TrueBusiness ID certificate. During installation, we did not receive any error messages from the server. Also, the FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced clients (a mixture of 14, 15, and 16) are not reporting any problems with error messages or a missing list of hosted files. When connecting with FileMaker Pro Advanced from my MacBook Pro, I see the expected green lock when opening any of the files hosted on this server.

I hope this additional information is helpful. If you need me to try something or check any other settings, please do not hesitate to contact.

Have a great day.

Best regards,

TW

• 6. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
                    TSGal

tweller860:

An iPad Pro or iPad Mini should not make a difference in connecting.  If you have an iPad Pro with FileMaker Go 14.0.4 available to you, then please try it.  If it works, then focus can be shifted to the iPad Mini.

Since you are getting a green lock in FileMaker Pro, the certificate is valid, so that would not be the issue.

Just to clarify, you have both FileMaker Go 16 and FileMaker Go 14.0.4 on the iPad Mini.  FileMaker Go 16 can connect to the machine running FileMaker Server 16 while FileMaker Go 14.0.4 cannot connect.  Correct?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
                      tweller860

Good evening.

I believe we have an iPad Pro with FileMaker Go 14 installed. I am currently out of the office, but will ask one of my co-workers to test it on Monday and then get you an update.

Yes; I tested the connection from both FIleMaker Go 14 and FileMaker Go 16 from the same iPad mini. I have also performed the same test from my iPhone. In both cases, I was able to connect to the server using FileMaker Go 16 but not FIleMaker Go 14. Also in both cases, I have tried using both the DNS name and the static IP address for the server when testing from FileMaker Go 14 but did not see any difference in the result.

Once we are able to test with an iPad Pro, I will be sure to get you an update. In the meantime, if you need anything else from me, please do not hesitate to ask.

Have a great day.

Best regards,

TW

• 8. Re: Unable to connect to FileMaker Server 16 using FileMaker Go 14
                        TSGal

tweller860:

I have asked our testers to try other iOS devices (including iPad mini and iPhone 6/7).  I will let you know their results.

Feel free to send me a private message with the IP Address, so I can try connecting from here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.