9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 11:13 AM by philmodjunk

Copy of Original Database

ayeshaqm

Hello,

I am trying to replicate an older database on FileMaker Pro 14 and wanting to change a few features to make it up to date. Can anybody give a me a shortcut method in creating this or will I have to start from scratch.

Thank You,

Ayesha

• 1. Re: Copy of Original Database
          RosemaryTietge

ayeshaqm,

Welome to the FileMaker Community. I've moved your question to the main Discussions area so more members will see and respond to it.

• 2. Re: Copy of Original Database
            beverly

Welcome, Ayesha!

If you open the older file with the current version of FileMaker, it will update AND be a copy of the old one. You can no longer connect the two, but the old version has not been changed. Is that what you needed or something else (or more?)

Come back with additional questions as needed.

Beverly

Sent from miPhone

• 3. Re: Copy of Original Database
              beverly

Slight correction on that! FM 14 and FM 16 are the same file-format, so if you update to FM 16, the "new" file will be able to be opened with FM 14. However, any changes using features for FM 15 or FM 16, will not be able to be used by FM 14.

In the File Options,

FileMaker Pro 16 Help

you can set the Minimum version to FM 16 and then you may get the dialog warning you if you use FM14 to open it.

I will typically make the "conversion" and zip the old file(s), stashing away for archiving and avoiding opening the old file when I meant to open the new file(s).

HTH,

Beverly

• 4. Re: Copy of Original Database
                ayeshaqm

Hi Beverly,

Thank you so much for replying. My question is in regards to a database that was created a while ago and a new database has to be created that contains some of the same features such as its tables and fields. The new database will be in FileMaker Pro 14 as the first one(I will not be upgrading to a new FM). It is difficult on how to essentially create some of the same features in the first database onto the second because I was not the creater of it and I do not know how to replicate it.

Thank You,

Ayesha

• 5. Re: Copy of Original Database
                  philmodjunk

Why not start from a copy of the original database?

• 6. Re: Copy of Original Database
                    beverly

Do you have full access to the original? If so, you can make a copy. Is it one file or many? If it's many than making a copy is a little more complex. But first we need to know what access you have.

Sent from miPhone

• 7. Re: Copy of Original Database
                      ayeshaqm

Yes I have full access to the original and there are many different files that contain graphs, original data and charts. How will I be able to mimic or replicate it into the new database?

• 8. Re: Copy of Original Database
                        beverly

Duplication of multiple files could break any connected references between files, if you just copy into another directory and try to rename. The preferred method is to use FileMaker Pro Advanced to rename (place into a different folder than the originals). I still would then zip up the originals to remove any references while you check the new files.

If the files are from an earlier version this will also convert to the correct one for FMP14

"Developer Utilities"

Beverly

• 9. Re: Copy of Original Database
                          philmodjunk

And this is a case where FileMaker Advanced and a third party produced developer tool such as Base Elements, Inspector Pro, etc can be very valuable in terms of analyzing the design of these files to understand how they work. In some cases, just enabling a script debugger and clicking a button to watch the script perform can tell you much about how that script and the relevant portions of the database are set up to work.