3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 7:19 AM by smrat

My database is suddenly asking for password

smrat

I have a database on my mac that I've been running for years. It's simply one record with buttons to open other files. All I do is click on it and it opens, period. I've updated to FMP 16 and decided to clean this database up and thought the easiest way would be to start over and create a new one. So I did. Then I closed it, opened it a couple of times and then it decided to ask for a login and password. So I put in Admin and hit enter and it asked me for a login and password for three of my 15 buttons that open other files. My questions are: why would it now decide it needed a login, why will some files work without a login but some need one, and how can I get it to behave the old way all the time? By the way, the old one still opens without the login screen. I've looked and looked for something different between the two but just can't find it.

• 1. Re: My database is suddenly asking for password
          FileKraft

did you rename the local file?

did you check your keychain?

password propagation works if accounts and passwords are consistent and no auto-login interferes.

maybe that new file has some different password in place and got stored in your keychain but won't work to be propagated for the other files.

if you have Advanced use the debugger and step through.

if the files are on the server then check the error log by the server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My database is suddenly asking for password
            philmodjunk

In addition, check your settings in File Options under the file menu in your new files and see what is selected for "log in using". If the check box is not selected for this option for a given file, it will ask you for log in credentials every time.

In a brand new file, the default setting for this feature is "admin" for an account name and no password for the password and until you make changes in Manage | Security, this will cause the file to open without asking for a password.

And when a script or other data reference causes FileMaker to open another file, it uses the credentials used to open the first file to try opening the new file. If there is a matching account name and password, you are not asked for a password when the additional file opens. If the credentials don't match, you are.

You say that you have converted an older solution. If this is a very old version of FileMaker, passwords back In FileMaker 6 or older versions were not case sensitive. Today's version is so you could have two passwords that are the same in two files, but capitalized differently in the original files. The credentials would match in the original files, but not in the converted.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: My database is suddenly asking for password
              smrat

Thanks to both of you! I messed up on the follow-through with all of the other databases.