6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2017 12:34 PM by TSGal

Chart causes FileMaker Pro 16 to crash

mislav

I used FileMaker Pro Advanced 16.0.2 to open a database that was developed using an earlier version of FileMaker, and FileMaker Pro kept crashing whenever I'd arrive on one of the layouts. This behavior was consistent; i.e. it happened every time.

I narrowed the problem down to one of the four charts that was on that layout.

Whatever the problem was, it got cleared away after I opened the Chart Setup dialog and clicked into all of the various calc dialogs that are in there. I also reselected some of the options; e.g. in the Data Source area, I reselected the related table and the re-specified the sort order.

Doing all that seemed to reset (and fix) whatever the cause of the problem was.

I don't know if the chart type matters with respect to the problem I saw, but I'll include this info in case it turns out to be useful: The three charts that didn't have the problem were two pie charts and one stacked column chart. The chart that did cause the crash was a column chart (with just one data series).

I was using FileMaker Pro Advanced 16.0.2 on macOS Sierra (10.12.5).

• 1. Re: Chart causes FileMaker Pro 16 to crash
          TSGal

mislav:

Thank you for your post.

What was the earlier version of FileMaker Pro used to develop the chart?

Do you still have a copy of the original database file?  If so, I would like to see it to better understand what is causing the issue.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Chart causes FileMaker Pro 16 to crash
            mislav

The database was originally developed using v13. However the layout with the charts was developed much more recently (last week). I think I used FMPA 15 to create that layout, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll look for a backup copy of the file. I'll contact you directly for that.

• 3. Re: Chart causes FileMaker Pro 16 to crash
              mislav

Update: I thought I had gotten rid of the problem by tinkering with the Chart Setup dialog as described in the original post, but it's come back now. Whenever I go to this layout, Pro 16 crashes.

Some more info:

• Opening a backup copy of the file locally (not hosted) works fine - no crash.
              • The user who uses this layout runs FMP 16 on Windows, and she hasn't had Pro crash on her.
              • 4. Re: Chart causes FileMaker Pro 16 to crash
                TSGal

mislav:

The issue may be Mac only.  Since you are getting a crash, please post the crash report, up to and including the crashed thread.  This will let me know what are of the application is crashing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Chart causes FileMaker Pro 16 to crash
                  TSGal

mislav:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the crash only under Mac operating system, and only when the file is hosted.  I have sent your file, along with my findings and my crash report, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Chart causes FileMaker Pro 16 to crash
                    TSGal

mislav:

Development and Testing are aware of this crashing issue when switching to a layout that contains a chart.  This issue only occurs under Mac operating system.  Your posts and sample file have now been attached to the original report and sent to Development for review.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.