9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 7:48 AM by wimdecorte

Uploading runtime to server

billyboyo2004

Hi

Can someone give me a step by step guide to uploading a runtime to my server. I have looked at the documentation and it has left me no better off

Kind regards

Bill Allitt

• 1. Re: Uploading runtime to server
          Jens Teich

The runtime contains a file which is a regular FileMaker database file.  The extension is not '.fmp12', but often '.usr' or completely different.

This database file can be opened from FMP client and it should also be possible to upload it to FM server.  Once this file is opened in FM the procedure is equal to documented procedure for ordinary database files.

• 2. Re: Uploading runtime to server
            schamblee

The default file extension for a runtime is fmpur, so it would look like myfile.fmpur.   It can be changed to anything under the specify solution options.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Uploading runtime to server
              TomHays

If by "server" you mean FileMaker Server:

Note that runtime apps are single-user only.

The developer of the runtime may have assumed that the bundled database file(s) will only be used by the runtime engine and created database files with features that will not work properly in a client/server environment.

If you aren't the developer, I would check with the developer of the runtime to find out if the runtime database files are compatible with uploading to a server.

If by "server" you mean web hosting server used to distribute your runtime solution to your users:

I would create an installer program.  Digitally sign the installer.  Upload this installer to your web site and create a link to the download file.

-Tom

• 4. Re: Uploading runtime to server
                wimdecorte

FileMaker Server has a section where you can register 'runtime extensions'.  If fmpur for instance was kept as the default then you can register that in FMS and when you upload the fmpur file, FMS will host it without requiring a name change.

(because just changing the extension may break functionality in the file for anything that uses the full file name).

• 5. Re: Uploading runtime to server
                  billyboyo2004

Hi All

Thanks for the info above.

I am looking how to get the runtime on the server. There is no option to upload via sharing in runtime as that is not an option.
                  I was told that you cannot host a runtime on the server but there is mention of it on the server and in documentation but no one has said how to get the files up there.

I have added the fmpur extension to the list.

I am using FM Server 16

Kind regards

Bill Allitt

• 6. Re: Uploading runtime to server
                    wimdecorte

You can get the files to the server the old-fashioned way: put them on a file share somewhere, RDP into the server or walk over to it and grab the files from that share and move them into the normal FMS database folder.

If you are on OSX, remember to use the OS tools to change the ownership and the rights so that the fmserver user can open them.

• 7. Re: Uploading runtime to server
                      billyboyo2004

Hi wimdecorte

Thanks for the info but it is beyond my understanding. I am very new to all of this and am struggling big time.
                      When you say file share what does that mean?

When you say move them into the data base folder where is the folder?

Ownership and rights and OS tools. I have no idea where the tools are?

Are they on the server?

RDP?

Kind regards

Bill Allitt

• 8. Re: Uploading runtime to server
                        schamblee

A runtime is not shareable.    The database in the runtime, the fmpur file, can be shared.  It's basically the same database file with a different extension.

I

• 9. Re: Uploading runtime to server
                          wimdecorte

billyboyo2004 wrote:

Thanks for the info but it is beyond my understanding. I am very new to all of this and am struggling big time.
                          When you say file share what does that mean?

When you say move them into the data base folder where is the folder?

Ownership and rights and OS tools. I have no idea where the tools are?

Are they on the server?

What OS is the server?

RDP = a remote desktop connection.  How to do that depends on you the OS of the server.

Same with the database location or the tools to set ownership.  The ownership rules only applies to Mac OSes, Windows doesn't have an issue with that.